4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Noticing spammy businesses in the area or wondering about our policies? Ask your questions here.
Guide Me
star_border

Company Offering Discount in exchange for reviews.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There is a company in the local area here in Leeds which basically forces clients to give 5 star reviews. This is very easily verifiable just to the fact the have amassed 724 reviews in the past 9 months. In the phone repair industry in the local area you would generally expect one or two reviews on a good week. Meaning you would average around 100 reviews a year. The company in question is GadgetsFix.com and they have a huge poster up in there store stating free tempered glass screen protector in exchange for a Google review. 

There is also quite a few negative reviews stating that they was forced into writing a positive review.

The listing can be found here:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=gadgets+fix+leeds&lrd=0x48795c1eb3bb5c7f:0xba984da3ee6f1904,1,

Thanks for looking into this.

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think it would really help your case if you upload a photo of the "review poster" so a moderator can see it, because it is clearly violating the guidelines by rewarding a discount for a 5-star review.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a photo the review poster, can someone advise on how to post this??

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

A hyperlink or something like that?  To be honest, I don't know how to get a moderators attention either...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

When you're posting a reply click the little "Full Reply Editor" right below the "post" button and you should have the ability to upload a photo to this thread.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Re: Company Offering Discount in exchange for reviews.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

As you can see from the photos I have taken below the business in question is offering a discount of 10% in exchange for a google review. This is the sole reason why they have 752 reviews in 1 year. It is also worth noting that the mention google reviews in all advertising and banners they often compare there stats with Apple stores worldwide. It is also all over the website http://www.gadgetsfix.com/ 

Please can someone raise this with google.

Thanks

Alex

20170424_141711.jpg

20170424_132627.jpg20170424_132630.jpg20170424_141644.jpg

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can anyone help with this?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Yes, I'll escalate this. I'd encourage you to be patient - most of the volunteers on this forum have full time jobs too, so we get through as many threads as we can but there are a lot of others also asking for help. You just posted that reply yesterday and I hadn't got a chance to review it yet.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Re: Company Offering Discount in exchange for reviews.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Here are a few of the reviewers claiming the be offered a discount if they left a 5 star review:
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/111173542242611252923/reviews?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRoYbOp9TTAhUBxWMK...

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/117951546373281807397/reviews?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjgj4L7p9TTAhVBzmMK...

The pictures do show that you will get a discount if you leave a 5 star review.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@JoyHawkins Please correct me if I'm under the wrong impression, but my understanding is it is ok for a business to request a review on Google, but the line gets drawn when a 5 star is specifically requested.

Experts in the Topic
JoyHawkins