1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Follow threads that discuss the latest tips on how to get your business online… for free!
Guide Me
star_border

Service area businesses no longer ranking?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Wondering what is happening as of this past week (August 2017), all service area businesses seem to be all screwy. If I search for a locksmith in Marietta I don't even show up at all but have been at the top of the list for the last 4 years before that. The only way I can find myself now is by searching directly in my zip code or directly by name. Can anyone affiliated with Google or someone in the know about this clarify what is happening? What am I to do? Start displaying my address? I'm already making moves towards getting signage.

Any help is appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also one of the affected. I see several threads of others affected here as well. I have attempted informing GMB reps on two occasions that this is a wide spread issue specifically targeting service area businesses, but they continue to insist it is an optimization issue on my end, when I know it's not. If anything, I should be ranking higher now, but instead, I have disappeared.

In my case, you can only find me if searching "Foxhound Locksmith" or Ringgold Locksmith (Likely because I am the only one in Ringgold).

However, anywhere else in my service area (ie: Chattanooga Locksmith, Dalton Locksmith, Lafayette Locksmith, etc...) I have completely disappeared. 

If this were a case of optimization, I would see myself drop in rankings or appear last, but to be completely removed from existence after I was appearing and climbing the rankings prior to this, should be evidence enough that this is not an optimization issue.

What's most frightening is that GMB refuses to acknowledge there is an issue at all, and until they do, we know they're not actively working to fix it. I would assume they're being pounded with calls, but here we are, a week later, and they still do not appear to be aware of the issue.

Has anyone had better luck? Can someone PLEASE elaborate on what might be going on if you've been successful in getting any information on this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Mika,

We have seen the same issue in Canton, Ga.  The map is actually showing 2 'Home Depot Pro desks' instead of our Garage Door Repair business and other actual service companies.

Like you, we have also been in the top of the maps for years and now can only be found when we actually type in the name of the business.

BTW - We called the HomeDepot just out of curiosity to see if we could schedule a repair and they had no idea why they would get a call for a garage door repair... XD  

Wish I could help but it looks like we are all in the same boat with no answers. :( We haven't changed anything to our listing but now it looks like we will go through everything again. Just in case. 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That really sucks Michelle, I also had my business listed (Against my consent) in the newly rolled out "Home services" and it was calling a home depot in Gainesville, I pretended to be locked out of my car and called and they had no clue what I was talking about. Aside from that, the real problem is we are NOT showing up in a standard Google search anymore such "Locksmith Marietta" or "Garage Door Repair Canton".

To make things even more confusing, the Map app brings up different results than a "standard" Google search. I still show up first in maps but no one goes to maps to find a provider, I have called Google at least 8 times and they keep telling me it's an optimization issue which makes no sense. So all of a sudden all Service area businesses aren't optimized enough and vanished from searches? UGH!

Re: Service area businesses no longer ranking?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Mika A

I still get you top ranked - despite being a SAB:

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 19.33.46.png

Same for @Foxhound L

Screenshot 2017-08-16 at 19.38.22.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler: Thank you for your reply and for looking into the issue for us. However, I believe you are misunderstanding the issue.

We appear fine in our home cities. For larger cities, we appear in our closest zip codes as well. However, when searching for a locksmith outside of city limits, we have been completely removed from the packs.

For example, Dalton, GA is well within my service area. But, if you search for "Locksmith near Dalton, GA" you'll see that all SABs have been removed from the pack. The same can be said for the rest of the cities I serve (Chattanooga, TN, Lafeyette, GA, East Ridge, TN, etc...) 

Any idea what might be happening? Our biggest challenge is simply getting GMB to recognize there is an issue. Until they recognize there is a problem, none of us know whether or not Google is actively working to resolve the issue. 

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Helmut,

thanks for looking into it. Germany must be doing something right. I'm not sure how you got me to show up first because I still can't get myself to show up when searching "Locksmith Marietta" which is the city I'm in. I only find myself when searching "Locksmith 30062" or "Locksmith Cobb County", not with "Locksmith Marietta". However, if I use the map directly, I am first. Just not a search from an iPhone in the Safari app. I thought maps and Google searches pulled the same data. Ugh!!!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My listing has completely disappeared from all search results after being top of the 3 pack for the last 2 to 3 years. My GMB listing doesnt even show when doing a direct business name search. The only way i've been able to find it is by searching for carpet cleaning and my zip code. Ive noticed other prominent businesses in my industry who are usually at the top of the 3 pack have vanished also. Funny thing is that if I use the Google Maps app and search my industry and area I am the top listing.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That's exactly the problem. Glad/not glad you're having the same issue, I've  been pulling my hair out since last week getting anyone to understand or acknowledge there is a problem.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried the quick fix that was recommended by another forum member of checkmarking " I also serve customers at my business address" and my listing came right back to the top spot for carpet cleaning Sacramento. I just didnt want to leave it like that and risk a penalty so I switched it back. It just proved that something is messed up and that our businesses have been caught in one of Googles filters. I explained all this to Google support and they said to give it some time and see if it corrects itself in the next algorithm update.

Experts in the Topic
TomW
JoyHawkins
Helmut Geissler