Guide Me
star_border

Re: Updates to the Keyword Planner Tool

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 11
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Right?

I keep looking for the answer, but Adwords is being all vague as usual.

Spit it out! What is the threshold? What exactly is an, "Advertiser with lower monthly spend?"

My guess is that you'd need an adspend of $300 per month to access said data.  This guess is based on observing that Adwords wants you to be spending $10 per day before you can get a rep to help make campaigns for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 12
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First Google took your organic keyword data away. Now they are intent on impoverishing those without enough budget for the data.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, CassieH.

Would you mind clarifying thresholds to get these limitation (i.e. if we spend xxx$/month, then we can get yyy queries as usual)?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 14
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

But seriously, am I missing something here?

Can someone please explain
I am a Adwords user currently with no active campaign but wanting to spend a good amount on a campaign, I want to ensure I chose the right keywords. If search volume data is not available then how on earth I will be able to find out which keywords to bid for?

1k-100k means noting to me, its like shooting in the dark. Would Google like to shoot in the dark when it comes to making financial decision???

lost for words.....

Top Contributor
# 15
Top Contributor
Hi guys,

Try looking at it this way: Under the modified data delivery system of the KW Tool, you will not see more data in the tool than what you absolutely need to optimize your own account, hence your attention will no more be diverted by zillions of unrelated stats.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 16
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can we please have the limits on the ad spend? That would help greatly!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 17
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This move seems to continue to reward big spenders and give them an even greater competitive advantage than they already have by having budgets that allow for greater testing, trial and error, real world/user data, etc. Maybe SEOs were gleaning too much good information from keyword data to skirt spending as much so that tool needed to be taken away from them so they'd have to spend to have search and keyword data? Just like taking away organic search data in Analytics was to protect security this move is to ensure advertisers still get their data and not a way to ensure you pay before getting data right?

Top Contributor
# 18
Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

I was of course halfway joking above. Unfortunately it seems that earlier expectations regarding giving the KW tool away totally free did not pay. (A tool is only free to users, Google of course accrues various expenses.)

Anyway, a free tool is a gift. You may have got accustomed to it, still it is a gift. And you know what wise people say: never look a gift-horse into the mouth!

Another point is that what you absolutely need for optimizing your account will hopefully be kept for good.

Best,
Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 19
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Cassie - Please highlight with the AdWords team that many people inside an agency may use the KW planner tool for research but do not use the account in which they manage clients' account. This will create needless work for PPC technicians retrieving information from our primary account.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 20
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'd agree that a free tool for uses in other areas of digital marketing is a gift and anyone using it as sole tool to support other online functions, like SEO, shouldn't complain and should've been using other tools as well. I get that no tool is completely free, someone is paying for it or you are paying for it with ad dollars or some combination of the 2 in this case.

That being said, the detailed data for larger advertisers and range data for smaller advertisers continues to create competitive disadvantages for smaller advertisers, who are primarily small and medium sized local businesses. This is a move that seems to punish SMB's and rewards larger companies who already have large people, software, and monetary advantages over SMB's.

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if this move is so larger national advertisers find great value in traditional paid search and smaller advertisers are encouraged to spend more in the new/expanded Local Pack/Map paid search areas where they will have more data available to them, which could be the best place for them to invest their dollars anyways.

Hopefully nobody saw my response as complaining about losing a free tool and/or that my firm relies on this free tool, however I know a lot of people do for many parts of their digital strategies.

The basis of my worry is how a move like this could create an even more tilted playing field, favoring large companies over SMBs or startups.
Experts in the Topic
Archit
Lakatos
CassieH