Partners
7K members online now
7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Woah... SERPs Title tags Increased to 70–71 from 50–60 Characters

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 2.02.31 PM.pngHappy Friday Y'all. 

The major change after removing ads from the right side?  It may be lengthier organic and paid ad text.

Google has extended the length of titles and descriptions in SERPs for certain websites.  It's a significant jump from 50-60 to 70-71.  

Something else that is 70 characters... paid ads (at least in a closed Beta).  source: http://searchengineland.com/google-adwords-expanded-text-ads-test-two-headlines-248135

adwords-expanded-text-ads-mobile-desktop.jpgWith more space to work with, should be an interesting time of A/B testing ad copy.  Comments?  Thoughts? Good?  Bad?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Woah... SERPs Title tags Increased to 70–71 from 50–60 Characters

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
It could be really good since the limited title space can make some of our Google Ads less precise than we would like.

However, it could also make it harder for consumers to tune in to the ads (which I don't think will be a huge issue for most).

I think it is good that Google is only testing this in a very limited way so they can best assess the overall impact and general performance before unleashing it to the masses. I am big proponent of alpha & beta testing changes with technology-based platforms.

Re: Woah... SERPs Title tags Increased to 70–71 from 50–60 Characters

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Me too! With responsive design, there's no longer a desktop vs tablet vs mobile. Ads should be the same way.