Partners
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Who Here is in Charge of the Migration of Product Forums?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There must be a lot of organic traffic getting stuck in the old woods of Google Productforums. You might have encountered this yourself as well. See images below. I used to be redirected to the main board of the advertisers-community, but now the error message is different.

Who did make the decision to not migrate the old content on productforums? Practice what you preach, Google ;-)

Of course this is not the first complaint:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Account-Access-Management/Why-am-I-being-redirected/m-p/59...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/drive/o3LkjJkKnqE/7yojL9b9CQAJ

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Members-Lounge/Redirect-from-product-forum/m-p/497877

https://www.reddit.com/r/analytics/comments/49vv2m/google_analytics_forum_redirecting/

Who's the SEO-er for the advertisercommunity? ;-)

profuctforums migration 0.pngprofuctforums migration.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldert B
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Aldert B,

There are many people involved in the setup of Google products, including these help communities. 

While I cannot expand on that, I can say thanks for your feedback, which will be reviewed. 

As to why the old content was not migrated... that's an easy one. Google products evolve at a fairly rapid rate and the content was outdated and/or no longer relevant for the products & situation. It would not serve a AdWords users well to give them 2+ year old data. That is the case for Analytics, My Business (and G+), AdWords Express or the Google Partners program. Everything has been refreshed in the recent past and we only wish to serve current, relevant and fresh information. 

When a subject has current content that aligns with new content here, you are redirected to the content here. When the subject matter does not have current content here, you could encounter an error page or some other function. Things can also vary based on location and language.

If you are needing help with something specific, please just let us know. 

All the Best,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aldert B
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Aldert B,

There are many people involved in the setup of Google products, including these help communities. 

While I cannot expand on that, I can say thanks for your feedback, which will be reviewed. 

As to why the old content was not migrated... that's an easy one. Google products evolve at a fairly rapid rate and the content was outdated and/or no longer relevant for the products & situation. It would not serve a AdWords users well to give them 2+ year old data. That is the case for Analytics, My Business (and G+), AdWords Express or the Google Partners program. Everything has been refreshed in the recent past and we only wish to serve current, relevant and fresh information. 

When a subject has current content that aligns with new content here, you are redirected to the content here. When the subject matter does not have current content here, you could encounter an error page or some other function. Things can also vary based on location and language.

If you are needing help with something specific, please just let us know. 

All the Best,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sorry for my late reply James, I had read it before though Smiley Happy

In a normal website migration you would analyze the top landing pages and check if you want to keep that content (i.e. does it still provide an up to date answer). Yes, a lot of work ;-) For many Analytics-questions I would expect not much has changed actually.

A major amount of topics could safely be deleted of course, nothing wrong with that. Any deleting would mean: serve a 404 so it gets de-indexed fast. But the quirky Javascript redirect used by the move from Product Forum to Advertisercommunity has not been picked up by Googlebot as a Soft 404 for a long time. And causing frustration with a few people here and there ;-)

Which is all fixed by now by the way Smiley Happy