Partners
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Using competitors names as keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi Guys

does anyone use competitors names as keywords because i know its a strategy some guys use. I have never used personally but i am seeing there could be some serious consequences of doing that

check out this article 

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/ryanair-sues-google-and-travel-website-edreams-for-redir...

regards, 

Zaby

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Oh a new case.  I learned about this in Trademark and Copyright class.  I had a great law professor Lauren Heymann.  At the time it was frown upon but okay in the US.  Should be an interesting case to follow up on.  

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Zaby,

I agree with Tony. 

Personally, we don't do it and do not think it is needed to win the auction... the prospect... the day.

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Zaby

I think that you would find the article in the link that I sent you most helping!

Kind regards

https://moz.com/blog/optimize-competitors-branded-keywords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

We usually test it.  Sometimes it's too expensive when you aren't the brand owner.  Sometimes (like drs or repair people) it can make clients/visitors mad b/c they accidentally call the wrong/unintended person.

With eCommerce, it can be a big win.  It just depends, so we always test it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

in some industries it works , in others it's the Highest ROI AD Groups you can find.

In Egypt and Middle east , I always uses this in my strategy and measuring it's performance to modify and optimize .

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've used "competitor" names as negatives in shopping campaigns.  I put competitors in quotes as I used to to restrict matches to searches from users outside of the target price range.  For example, a high end diamond seller doesn't want hits from people that are searching for "Walmart Jewelry" or "Kmart Jewelry"  I didn't want to show a $10,000 ring to someone looking for something under $50.

Using them as positive keywords seems to border on the unethical.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Zaby,

I believe Google's answer/alternative to this topic is the "Target Outranking Share" (See link below)

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6268616?hl=en-AU

I think there are more risks using competitor names as positive KW. (Competitors as negative KW on the other hand are useful if you have a very specific customer base you'd like to target)

Now if you want to go tooth and claws with a competitor I'd definitely go with the Target Outranking strategy.

Regards,

David A.