Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Unpaid Pay Per Click Jobs & Projects

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 10.54.23 PM.png

Hi Y'all. 

I see job posts like the one above all the time.  I know several people who accepted unpaid PPC jobs and were promised a great many things, none of which was delivered.   And the excuse, starts ups can't afford to pay... is lame.  The rationale you should work for free to gain experience is also underwhelming. What I find particularly strange, is most of these ads offering an unpaid job have a longer list of prerequisites than even paid positions.  It's somewhat disheartening to see unpaid jobs be posted everywhere.

What we do is important.  It has value to the marketing agency and the end customer.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  What do y'all think about unpaid positions?  I'd love to hear from someone who has a different point of view and rocked an unpaid position into something awesome.  Smiley Happy 

When I first got to Houston, I worked unpaid at an IP boutique.  I wanted to keep my IP skills up to date.  The idea was they would train me to write patents their way.... There wasn't any training. And I didn't learn anything.  Maybe my view on unpaid is a bit skewed.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unpaid Pay Per Click Jobs & Projects

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If you add value to a business, you should be compensated for that value. In the case of a start-up, I could see if that compensation was in some equity in the company -- you'd have to truly believe in the potential of the company to go that route, though. But in the case you posted, this is just insane. In what scenario would anyone be tempted to take any CXO position that was unpaid. That's way beyond the, come do some basic tasks for us and gain valuable experience. This is asking for someone to bring expertise, vision, guidance, and strategy. The ideal candidate will not be tempted in the least.

Thinking about it from the other side, it doesn't make sense, either. If you are a business and you need to get true value out of a marketing position, then you need to pay for it. Outside of student internships (many of which include a small wage, anyway), there is no reason to expect quality work for free. You are immediately disqualifying the best candidates for your position because people who know they offer value expect to be compensated for it. And you wonder why so many businesses end up saying, "PPC just doesn't work for us."

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

MY first thought about unpaid positions is that it's a scam. They are looking for someone to come in and set the account up and optimize the account and then they think they don't need you.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You make a very valid point about the other side. Why would you trust someone who you aren't paying? I keep seeing these "jobs" pop up. It sullies our industry and I believe these people should be called out.

I can see equity as an incentive, but only if there was also a base pay.... to buy food with.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
But... you get what you pay for.

It's a reverse scam. Most scams promise you lots of money and then don't deliver. This job promises you no money... and delivers. Only in marketing. haha.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Ha @Tony_Guo. I guess, we should give him props for not making promises he can't keep! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
That's true. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've just started working for free for a client so I thought I would argue why I'am doing it. I totally agree with @Michael H who said "If you add value to a business, you should be compensated for that value", still this made sense for me, right now.

This month I started my own agency after 2 &1/2 years of working for a different agency. Although I have plenty of experience and all the adwords/analytics certifications I decided to start working with a Google Grants beneficiary for free for the next three months. Not sure if you guys remember how it was in the beginning but I'm sure most of you would have accepted any client. Helping a good cause while also ,being able to stay in the game by growing a $10,000/month account is definitely worth something. If by the end of the trial they decide they still require my services we will talk about a discounted fee.

I'm not really concerned about letting me off after I've set up the campaigns. I know what I'm getting into. Plus I'm going to take some precautions to protect my work:
- create ads with custom parameters linked to a google sheet I own
- add automated bidding linked to a google sheet I own
- add automated bid modifiers linked to a google sheet I own
- automate pause/enable adgroups based on rules from a google sheet I own

This way the added value I bring is slightly higher Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I agree. The $10,000 account is slightly different from the hey I own a business but won't pay you... accounts I see often. I love Google Grants. I'm still looking to work on one.

I like the idea of a discount fee after a period of time. That's pretty smart. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You could ask @Robert Coats how to get your agency on this list https://www.google.com/nonprofits/help/marketplace.html. I couldn't find how to do it. The way I got my first account was by contacting the organization that is responsible for verifying the eligibility of NGO in my country Romania. I asked if they had any NGOs that are looking for an experienced advertiser and they matched me with one.