Partners
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

The SEM agency is dying (and what to do about it)

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

There is a great article on SEL today that is really must reading for any one who runs an agency or is looking to.The name of the article is the same as this post, 'The SEM agency is dying (and what to do about it)' and does a great job of diving into where the market has been and where the author thinks it is going. Interestingly, his prognosis of the direction of the industry is not too different from what many of us agency owners have envisioned and talked about these past couple of years - and that is, while there will always be a need for SEM agencies, the trend lines are not encouraging.

But, that is to be expected. As any industry matures, so do the service providers within that industry need to mature and adapt if they want to remain relevant and continue providing value. Training, such as that which agencies receive with the Google Partners program, certainly plays a role but diversity might also be required if you intend to grow past the next 5 years.

Suffice to say, it is a thought provoking article and I encourage any agency owner to read it and use it for a catalyst for your 5-10-20 year planning. It should also provide some insight to anyone thinking of starting an agency - it is certainly not as easy as it once was. But for those that have the drive and tenacity to succeed, being an agency owner can be a very rewarding experience.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The SEM agency is dying (and what to do about it)

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
A though provoking article. Definitely worth reading.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks Robert for sharing this, time to build the moat!

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Diversity is one choice but I think specialization in one aspect of advertising or market vertical can also be an avenue. It is just a matter of providing expert level management of your chosen segment which a more generalized agency can't or won't t do.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Agencies encounter a much more diverse range of problems/solutions. This keeps them on their toes and forces them to adapt rapidly. On the other hand, In-house marketing stagnates. Do to the fluid nature of digital marketing, the ability to evolve your strategies and business models takes priority over everything else. Your in-house team may have some fresh moves right now but in 10 years your business will lose to the competition that runs with good agencies.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Great article. I agree with going local and broad. Well worth the read.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for sharing.