AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

The Google ads with the google search bar are covering over 60% of my sites how do I get rid of it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Google Ads, tab bar, website search bar, the google Apps and Gmail bar, the Google section for search the community takes up 18-20% of the screen.  Once I get into my checking account, weather.com and other sites it can take up to 35% of the view-able screen and it has gotten to the point in some sites like the weather I can only see a few hours of a 24 hour forecast. I am beginning to use other search engines that are just as good for my purpose so I can see the results without continuing to scroll to see things that used to be visible in Google. I have also tried to limit the things I see in AdWords but it does not help the view-able screen that much. Because of all the extra crap at the top of the page now in google I am becoming a Firefox search fan as it does not mess with the windows I open in obscuring the view-able screen available.  

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Re: The Google ads with the google search bar are covering over 60% of my sites how do I get rid of

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Forrest C,

As my friend James mentions, it really seems to me that you have downloaded or excepted various search engines in your chrome settings.

See if this works 

• Click Settings in Chrome
  • Click Manage search engines

Erase all search engines except Google and then restart your computer. If the problem persists then please run one of the free malware audits to see if your computer is infected. 

Google has and always will be prioritizing user experience before making money. This situation sounds like a result of your system being taken over since it would be against philosophy to allow such an aggressive ad strategy. If you want to send a screen share to see if we could further help you.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

The Google ads with the google search bar are covering over 60% of my sites how do I get rid of it?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

It sounds like you have used the zoom setting in Google Chrome. Click on the three stacked dots in the upper right hand corner and reset zoom to 100%.

It also could be that your screen resolution settings are not correct... or that you have added a Chrome extension(s) that is causing all of this to happen. 

Google is not in control of any of this and my screen is certainly not behaving that way. When I open AdWords, I do not see "extra crap" at the top. Although I will admit that I am not entirely clear on 1) if you are a AdWords user or 2) if you are speaking of Google Search home page on desktop or 3) a third party App on Google Android mobile device or 4) AdSense advertising you allocated for your own website.

Cheers,

James  

Re: The Google ads with the google search bar are covering over 60% of my sites how do I get rid of

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is set at 100%. I get 40 to 60% of all these: Weather map, Quicken
accounting entries and the only thing it does not screw up is my Gmail and
Comcast email, and Microsoft Security Essentials, I go in and unsubscribe
from as many things as I can but if I search something new the Google ads
just take it over and I have to go in and unsubscribe on more sites. There
is no fighting the big corporation! Thanks for trying but I know it will
not go away as it is big money for advertising and may find myself with my
new Apple computer to get away from all the crap! Thanks for trying but it
is not worth dealing with any more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is set at 100%. I get 40 to 60% of all these: Weather map, Quicken
accounting entries and the only thing it does not screw up is my Gmail and
Comcast email, and Microsoft Security Essentials, I go in and unsubscribe
from as many things as I can but if I search something new the Google ads
just take it over and I have to go in and unsubscribe on more sites. There
is no fighting the big corporation! Thanks for trying but I know it will
not go away as it is big money for advertising and may find myself with my
new Apple computer to get away from all the crap! Thanks for trying but it
is not worth dealing with any more.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

You are welcome. 

However I must state that I spend 12+ hours per day online and surf all over and use all types of devices with all of the various web browsers... and I assist people of all ages with using computers, consult to businesses on technology... and what you describe is not big business or Google taking over as it is specific to you and your surfing, which means you either have a heavily infected computer (malware) or something is not set up correctly.

Do you use security countermeasures like anti-virus and anti-malware software? Have you used Google Chrome in Incognito mode? Have you updated Google Chrome and removed any third party extensions? 

It is not feasible to assume that this is what "Google does" and switching to FF or iOS is the solution - unless this is a thread designed to market those options as being superior in some way to Chrome, Android and Windows? There are more users of Google Chrome than any other web browser... and they are not suffering as you are.

See what I am saying here?

Cheers,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Forrest C,

As my friend James mentions, it really seems to me that you have downloaded or excepted various search engines in your chrome settings.

See if this works 

• Click Settings in Chrome
  • Click Manage search engines

Erase all search engines except Google and then restart your computer. If the problem persists then please run one of the free malware audits to see if your computer is infected. 

Google has and always will be prioritizing user experience before making money. This situation sounds like a result of your system being taken over since it would be against philosophy to allow such an aggressive ad strategy. If you want to send a screen share to see if we could further help you.

Hope this helps!