Partners
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Looking for Feedback on using a Phone Number as a URL

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Well it looks like you already registered the domain, so you might as well give it a try. From a technical standpoint it might not matter, but for SEO it is a toss up. You have to weigh the reach and usage of your current name versus the new one, similar to re-branding. You can either point one of the domain names to the other or try masking the URL. How you configure Google Analytics will also be important since the URL is part of the configuration at the Property level.

Keep in mind that you will need to properly redirect URLs for your old domain name to the new one so you don't break all your back links. Also remember to update your URL on all your online assets and in print for consistency.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Miguel. But what about the user experience? How do you think users will respond?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @UnitedAutoInsurance,

Web addresses and other web-based systems are actual numbers (TCP/IP) converted to names. The DNS (domain name system) handles all of this so the internet works for everyone. When someone types Google into a web browser, a DNS Server will convert the name into the actual IP Address and connect it to the website.

This is done so that people do not have a phonebook of IP Addresses to keep up with... and for the fact that names are far easier for humans to remember and relate a business to.  

When I look at your example, all I see is 3129991234 and it is confusing, hard to relate to, and makes no sense to me... and therefore will not be remembered. 

However, when I see your business name, it clicks and is easy to remember and that is what I am going to search for, even if I wanted your phone number. 

Further, the format of a web address is standard with consumers and they are use to seeing it listed with a name for the website and numbers for phone, fax, street address, etc.. Email addresses will also look odd and be hard to remember. Printed materials will also look odd since you will have a Call Now action with a phone number listed and then the website with it again.... where some will think it was a typo/printed wrongly. 

In the end, using a phone number as the website address is bad for SEO, bad for consumers, bad for business... and just bad overall. Stick with standard formats and you won't have to retrain the masses!

Hope this helps and you have a great weekend!

- James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, James, for the very complete reply. I appreciate your time!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Very welcome!

All the best to you on your website adventures. If I can help further, please just let me know.