Partners
2K members online now
2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Thank You - International Women's Day

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

As a man brought up by a woman, International Women’s Day speaks to me in a way that is hard to define and even harder to explain. Perhaps it came from my desire to see my mother recognized by the world as the miracle worker I knew her to be, or maybe it came from being present when misogyny ran wild. Either way, I know how difficult it can be to be seen as an equal in the workplace, in the marketplace, or, even worse, to be “put in your place”. The one thing I clung to all those years, watching her go through that nonsense, was that time would show the cavemen the error of their ways. Sadly, it hasn’t. So, in celebration of the Day, I thought it would be fun to point out the wrongheadedness of gender inequality with examples from the real world.

Let’s start with the old saying, “a man provides while the woman stays home”. Ok, so tell that to Oprah Winfrey. What was she thinking when she made over a billion dollars? That’s the exception not the rule, huh? Ok, so what about J.K. Rowling? Zhou Qunfei? Eva Gonda de Rivera? Believe it or not, I can go on all day. How about the one that says, “a woman isn’t as strong as a man”. Is that physical strength? Becca Swanson can bench press 480 pounds and I’ve never met anyone who could do that. Or was it inner strength? Well, General Lori Robinson is the Commander of USNORTHCOMM and NORAD. As those two entities are in charge of our National Defense, I’d think whoever’s in charge would select someone for that position they saw as unbreakable. You can argue the point with her if you’d like, but I wouldn’t recommend it. She has an army on her side - literally.

How about a hot topic (pun intended) like global warming? That’s “a man’s job”, huh? Did you know the organizer of the landmark Paris Agreement on climate change was a woman? Chrtistiana Figueres was named the Executive Secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in 2010, so, basically, much of the international fight against climate change has happened while a woman was at the helm. Hmm, that’s interesting.

It seems the more and more I look into it, the more and more women positively affect my daily life and the world in general in countless ways. From the climate to my health, from my wallet to my peace of mind, I owe much of what I have to the often unrecognized efforts of women across the globe, and, for at least one day, they finally get the recognition they so richly deserve. So, on this International Women’s Day I ask you all to celebrate the women in your life, recognize their many accomplishments, and, above all, do all you can to #BeBoldForChange.

#InternationalWomensDay

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner
1 Expert replyverified_user