Partners
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Switching Match Types Mid campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I've never done this and wanted to get some input. I was considering switching match types mid-campaign in an effort to save money on cpc's. Initially I thought about creating new camps but no historical data will impact QS. If I simply go into each kw and switch would QS tank? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Ryan,

Just to be sure change a few at a time. If they are too tank then you will not harm your entire campaign.

Please share your outcome since I am curious to see the result. It is a new keyword so it should reset yet I have a feeling that Google will carry over the QS.

I am with @Shanee_Kirk that you should add new keywords with a different match type just be careful to stager your bids. For example say you bid 3.25$ for exact match and then 25 cents cheaper for a broad modified. The goal is that they end up not sharing the available impressions which reflects as per your overall QS + AR. 

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I always have a mix of match types in my campaigns.  I would add new keywords with the new match type vs changing the match type on the keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Ryan,

Just to be sure change a few at a time. If they are too tank then you will not harm your entire campaign.

Please share your outcome since I am curious to see the result. It is a new keyword so it should reset yet I have a feeling that Google will carry over the QS.

I am with @Shanee_Kirk that you should add new keywords with a different match type just be careful to stager your bids. For example say you bid 3.25$ for exact match and then 25 cents cheaper for a broad modified. The goal is that they end up not sharing the available impressions which reflects as per your overall QS + AR. 

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Yup Just as @Shanee_Kirk and @Trevor_Stewart mention.

Do not Delete Or Edit a Match Type-  Readjust that to bid Lower.  Add a new Same keyword with the Different Match Type and make sure the Broadest matches have the lowest bids and the More restrictive match types have the Highest Bids.

All within the same Ad Group, so they have the same keyword synced Ads.

Example

Broad Match - Bid  $1

+Broad +Modified - Bid $1.25

"Phrase match" - Bid $1.50

[Exact Match] - Bid  $1.75