Partners
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Some Adwords Beta Requirements are Expensive

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Happy Tuesday Y'all.  I was getting a Beta and one of the requirements was each client/dealership obtain a short code.  A random short code in the US on Twilio cost $11,000 a year to rent in addition to message fees. If you want a vanity number it's $16,500 a year to rent. The total cost to rent and use the short code was estimated to be $19,500 - $30,000 a year.  Meaning the only account that can get this Beta is one that spends upwards of $500,000 a year in AdWords.  The client is considering it.  We are leaning towards yes.  However, the cost is a bit prohibitive for the most of our clients.  I wish it was a bit cheaper.

I thought I'd share something interesting I learned.  Smiley Happy

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Some Adwords Beta Requirements are Expensive

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What is a short code?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Tony_Guo

Was this for the Click to Message beta?  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes. Click to message. Smiley Happy I still call it click to text though.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
It's a shorter phone number you can send text messages too. I didn't realize they were that expensive... to rent.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for the info.

@Tony_Guo, are you not able to use a short code from eztext or trumpia for the beta, which makes the cost much less? Is there dedicated solution providers that one must pick from for the beta?

- James

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
OK maybe I am a little bit behind here but as a small business why couldn't I just use my mobile device number in a click to call add for example and in the body of the ad simply say text us at this number ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey @MikeJohnston

You absolutely can, that's how we've set up some smaller clients with this beta. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
That's interesting... I didn't know that. We were told something different. Thanks for the response. I'll look into it.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
To my knowledge you can pick anyone. We are exploring Twilio because we use them for call recording. I'll need to look into extent or trumpia.