AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Some Adwords Beta Requirements are Expensive

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Happy Tuesday Y'all.  I was getting a Beta and one of the requirements was each client/dealership obtain a short code.  A random short code in the US on Twilio cost $11,000 a year to rent in addition to message fees. If you want a vanity number it's $16,500 a year to rent. The total cost to rent and use the short code was estimated to be $19,500 - $30,000 a year.  Meaning the only account that can get this Beta is one that spends upwards of $500,000 a year in AdWords.  The client is considering it.  We are leaning towards yes.  However, the cost is a bit prohibitive for the most of our clients.  I wish it was a bit cheaper.

I thought I'd share something interesting I learned.  Smiley Happy

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Some Adwords Beta Requirements are Expensive

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
What is a short code?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @Tony_Guo

Was this for the Click to Message beta?  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes. Click to message. Smiley Happy I still call it click to text though.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
It's a shorter phone number you can send text messages too. I didn't realize they were that expensive... to rent.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for the info.

@Tony_Guo, are you not able to use a short code from eztext or trumpia for the beta, which makes the cost much less? Is there dedicated solution providers that one must pick from for the beta?

- James

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni
OK maybe I am a little bit behind here but as a small business why couldn't I just use my mobile device number in a click to call add for example and in the body of the ad simply say text us at this number ?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hey @MikeJohnston

You absolutely can, that's how we've set up some smaller clients with this beta. 

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
That's interesting... I didn't know that. We were told something different. Thanks for the response. I'll look into it.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
To my knowledge you can pick anyone. We are exploring Twilio because we use them for call recording. I'll need to look into extent or trumpia.