AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Shopping Cart Abandonment

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Anyone have stats about shopping cart abandonment rates?  I'm wondering if there are known industry averages and if there are best practices to improve the number?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shopping Cart Abandonment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Shanee_Kirk while I'm sure somewhere someone has produced some facts and figures (probably WordStream), personally I'd doubt they'd be that useful.  Abandonment, much like conversions themselves, are affected by so many different factors I can't see how you could say "my rate should be this" in any meaningful way.  Even if you compared two sites in the same vertical, perhaps even selling the same products, they could be so easily affected by the site design, shipping costs, payment options, etc. to make any industry specific "norms" useless.

As for best practices, those will exist, but I don't have any particular recommendation.  A quick Google throws up hundreds of results.  For me, there are some key elements I see as failures that I encourage my clients to amend:

#1 - Don't force a registration.  I want to buy something, not subscribe to your newsletter and (for all I know) the spam of everyone you'll sell my email to.  Offer a registration, by all means, but offer it alongside the option to check out as a guest.

#2 - Try to show the final price including all taxes and shipping as early as possible.

#3 - Use well-known and common payment gateways.  "Bob's Checkout Processor" may offer free transactions, but if no one has ever heard of it you'll lose more in custom than you'll save.

#4 - Don't ask for irrelevant information.  Why do you need to know my date of birth when I'm buying a camera tripod?  Why do you need to know my gender, ever?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Shopping Cart Abandonment

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thank you for your input... I think one of the things you pointed out here might be our problem, and I'm looking into it. I think they are getting to the shipping and freaking out. The products are very large and hefty. Given that they are not inexpensive to begin with, this might be the problem.

And, you always seem to come up with camera analogies... Are you a photog?