AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Sales Training For Google Adwords Partners

Top Contributor Alumni
# 1
Top Contributor Alumni

This week I have been listening to a book called; "Sell Or Be Sold - How To Get Your Way In Business And In Life" by Grant Carbone. Grant is a New York Times bestselling author and I really like his philosophy on sales and the insights that he provides.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Business/Sell-or-Be-Sold-How-to-Get-Your-Way-in-Business-and-in-Life-Audio...

I was thinking about Partners and one of the most frequent types of questions I see in the GPC are those regarding sales or how to acquire new customers. This is especially hard for new Partners who have not done sales before and maybe for those who have done sales as a job but are now trying to go it on their own. I think we could discuss these issues more here and maybe find and share helpful resources.

In addition I was thinking that there might be essentially 2 types of people who are drawn to a career in online advertising/Adwords. One would be the more "techie" type who does web design and/or SEO, etc and is adding Adwords as another potential line of income. This type of person my be more happy just working online like the stereotypical computer geek (I see this in myself lol).

The other type might be more of a sales and business oriented type who is not that into the technical side of Adwords and is more interested in the business/income side. Those people might benefit from sales resources but might benefit more from more in depth Adwords training (that will be another post) Of course some people may fit into both categories or be able to adapt but when you are first stating out it may be hard to do that and I thought some help might be in order.

Google offers a lot of really nicely produced sales materials and has done some hangouts on sales but I think something a bit more in depth might be better suited to some of our members and after some research I settled on this book as a good introduction to a sales career.

Grant Cardone, the author of the book, seems to have developed a really nice assortment of courses and other books for aspiring sales professionals to get an education (or re-education) in sales and to continue to learn. This does not mean I specifically endorse him beyond my own personal opinion but I have enjoyed this book and as a result have purchased another of his books.

I would like to do a video Hangout On Air with Grant and have a Q&A for the community as I think it would be pretty instructive. I do not know however if that is possible yet, I will reach out to his people and see if he might be willing. If you would like to have more of this kind of material brought to the forum just reply and let me know.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Sales Training For Google Adwords Partners

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Think this is a great idea. Client or customer acquisition can often be one of the most challenging things an agency encounters.

I'd even be willing to help out if necessary to make this happen if I can be of any assistance.

For that matter I'd even be willing to run the hangout and handle to comment tracker so if questions are posted during the live HOA then Grant would be right there to answer them in real time.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Never seen those Google-produced sales materials, @MikeJohnston. Thanks for posting them!

@MikeJohnston wrote:

Google offers a lot of really nicely produced sales materials and has done some hangouts on sales but I think something a bit more in depth might be better suited to some of our members and after some research I settled on this book as a good introduction to a sales career.

As to Grant Carbone, I am sorry to say I am not a big fan of his style. He irks me more than inspires. IMO.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni
Thank you for the offer, I will keep that in mind.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Well I don't like all of his stuff either but the book I was reading is more the core principles of 1: Be convinced that your product(s) are the best solution to your customer's needs and 2: he is current and has active books and other products to sell which ,makes it more likely that I could get him to do an HOA with me :-)

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
That would be awesome. I would look forward to a Hangout on Air with Grant.