AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Responsive Display Ads

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I just noticed today when updating some gmail ads, that the new responsive ad template is now available. I've seen it on several accounts today.  Has anyone played with it yet?

You upload the "pieces" of your assets: logo, message, image - And Google automagically creates various ad sizes.  I'm excited to play with this.  I like the idea of "one and done".  But, I wonder if there will be a way to see which sizes are performing the best or pause/restrict sizes you aren't interested in.

Google Support Article

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Responsive Display Ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shanee,

My understanding is that this is not a replacement for standard display ads, more for text ads in display campaigns.

I was not a huge fan of how standard text ads were typically handled on the GDN but I am finding that the new responsive ads are an excellent replacement for these text ads and in testing on a couple of small accounts, seeing some decent performance.

Don't have much to share on digging in deeper into the specific sizes/formats, I too hope we'll gain further insights into some of these details as time progresses.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Tommy -- The ones on my side seem to require an image. I definitely would like clarity, bc I thought these would be replacing image ads by next year?

This Wordstream Article is a little vague on the topic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They do require an image, but are seen as an upgraded version of the standard image ads, i am not sure if they would be replaced.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Shanee,

Personally, I'm not putting too much emphasis on what they're replacing. They are a new format of ads that can fit far more placements/inventory than standard image ads and look a ton better than standard text ads, you can choose the purpose. The fact that they require text to be used makes me lean more towards an upgraded version of a text ads.

I have no idea about timelines and at this point, neither standard text ads, nor image/display ads have been removed.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’