Partners
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Pokemon Go and AdWords Geo-fencing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There is no doubt that Pokemon Go has created some buzz and increased foot traffic in a number of areas. Niantic Labs has done one heck of a job integrating features that draw in users in their alternative reality to what they call Poke Stops and Gyms, which in the real world landmarks can be anything from small businesses to museums.

Knowing the locations of these landmarks creates an opportunity to target users, who often represent foot traffic and millennials using geo-fencing, the process of using radios targeting for locations in AdWords. For a store which relies on walk-ins customers, this is an opportunity to "capture" the attention of these users who are within 1km, or 0.62 miles, of their business. 

At this point, you just need to figure out how you want to engage this audience. You can offer flash sales, refreshments, and Forbes has even suggested tailoring promotions around Pokemon (personally, I am not keen on this idea). They even go into detail on how businesses can use features in the game, such as a lure module, to attract even more interested users. If you are looking a novel way to promote a sale or event, this might be an entertaining way to generate some interest locally.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience using geo-fencing that might be applied to this tactic? 

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author miguel m
July 2016

Re: Pokemon Go and AdWords Geo-fencing

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Marketers Aren't Waiting for Pokémon Go's In-App Advertising to Arrive

• Marketers from T-Mobile to Simon Malls are capitalizing on the smartphone game, which sends players roaming the real world to catch virtual creatures like Jigglypuffs and grab virtual objects.
  • The McDonald's name and logo are already embedded in the app's Android code, observers said last week, as Gizmodo reported. But there was no sign of sponsored locations in the game yet, or of negotiations to sell them. On Friday, McDonald's declined to comment.
  • Yelp added a feature to let consumers find restaurants or stores that have nearby PokéStops, the locations where players scoop up in-game goods.
  • T-Mobile will use its T-Mobile Tuesday promotion this week to exempt the game from data charges for a year, provide $15 Lyft rides to key locations and offer discounts on chargers and battery packs—a nod to the game's notorious battery drain.
  • The Service King auto repair chain and agency Blue Fountain Media updated the brand's digital billboards in 20 markets to read "Let's Not Meet by Accident -- #Don'tCatchAndDrive," with Poké Balls standing in for the letter O.
  • Mortimer Singer, CEO at consulting firm Marvin Traub Associates, predicted that it will incorporate mobile commerce using digital payments. "If you take this Pokémon Go thing forward, you're a participant in your own retail theater," he said. "It'll go beyond just marketing, it'll be able to activate sales."

I am drinking the Kool-Aid, at least while it tastes so good!

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I'm the biggest pokemon nerd ever! I even paid... $39.99 for fake pokemon coins. There's a lure where you place it at a poke stop. The lure attracts people to your business since pokemon increase their frequency when a lure is placed. You can visibly see when a poke stop has a lure active.

I use it at my local hobby shop to help them increase business. It works!

The geo-fencing is spot on for this app. A little scary even.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Level 9 Trainer at the moment - my experience is that the signs, like what was in that forbes article and similar to what I've seen on social networks and reddit would suggest that this just might be the best route to capture some of the new foot traffic.  If you're out playing, you only have one screen open, the Pokemon app, which is currently ad free (or your home screen when the app crashes Smiley Happy ).

Now, the dynamic could definitely change over time and open up all kinds of doors for sure.  I guess we wait and see.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yeah I wonder about that. The app itself is ad free. I'm sure that won't last. Google should look into acquiring the rights to advertise on it. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Well - it appears that sponsored locations may be right around the corner. http://www.businessinsider.com/pokemon-go-to-launch-advertising-2016-7?r=UK&IR=T

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@PPCBossman interestingly enough, Naintic Labs was actually a startup under Google and became an independent entity in 2015, around the time that Alphabet reorganized things. I am sure that Google still has an invested interest in the company so anything is possible. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Looks like they are taking action on sponsored ads...

Pokémon Go to get pay-per-visit ‘sponsored locations’

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author miguel m
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Marketers Aren't Waiting for Pokémon Go's In-App Advertising to Arrive

• Marketers from T-Mobile to Simon Malls are capitalizing on the smartphone game, which sends players roaming the real world to catch virtual creatures like Jigglypuffs and grab virtual objects.
  • The McDonald's name and logo are already embedded in the app's Android code, observers said last week, as Gizmodo reported. But there was no sign of sponsored locations in the game yet, or of negotiations to sell them. On Friday, McDonald's declined to comment.
  • Yelp added a feature to let consumers find restaurants or stores that have nearby PokéStops, the locations where players scoop up in-game goods.
  • T-Mobile will use its T-Mobile Tuesday promotion this week to exempt the game from data charges for a year, provide $15 Lyft rides to key locations and offer discounts on chargers and battery packs—a nod to the game's notorious battery drain.
  • The Service King auto repair chain and agency Blue Fountain Media updated the brand's digital billboards in 20 markets to read "Let's Not Meet by Accident -- #Don'tCatchAndDrive," with Poké Balls standing in for the letter O.
  • Mortimer Singer, CEO at consulting firm Marvin Traub Associates, predicted that it will incorporate mobile commerce using digital payments. "If you take this Pokémon Go thing forward, you're a participant in your own retail theater," he said. "It'll go beyond just marketing, it'll be able to activate sales."

I am drinking the Kool-Aid, at least while it tastes so good!

Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion