Partners
5K members online now
5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Pause Unbranded Vanilla Search, Grow Cookie Pools with Social, then RLSA to no end - says Larry Kim

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Read an interesting piece from LK today. The guy does have his moments of brilliance, despite his exorbitant overproducing content and way too commercial catchy headlines. The article argues an interesting strategy, proposing to pause all non-branded campaigns, promoting the heck out of social and then relying exclusively on RLSA to produce higher conversions rate.

Link to the piece here: published on Search Engine Jornal

Plus cites interesting averages computed with Wordstream's infinite data pool like non-branded avg CPC and CPA and Conv Rates across all industries, and some niche management techniques like "Display Network advertising exclusively using remarketing," etc. Oh, and there's yet another pic of a Unicorn in his article! 

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Pause Unbranded Vanilla Search, Grow Cookie Pools with Social, then RLSA to no end - says Larry

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
I read the article, and there were some aspects of it I agree with. But, not every tool or feature is available (or works) for every advertiser. What if you aren't allowed to remarket due to "sensitive content"?

I also disagree that social media advertising is the most effective form of brand exposure. People use social media to connect with other people. A human being actually contributing and engaging with your audience is going to yield much greater returns than ads on social networks.

The game is all about multi-layered targeting nowadays. Remarketing is a good addition, but you have to get the users into the funnel to begin with for them to be in your list(s). What is likely to get you more users into the funnel - Ads on social networks where users are not actively searching for more information about your product or service, or advertising on search networks and placements where your audience is actively engaged already?
Tom

Re: Pause Unbranded Vanilla Search, Grow Cookie Pools with Social, then RLSA to no end - says Larry

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with you @tomhalejr. One can't get away with saying that social media is the most effective form of brand exposure. Although I'm not sure where did you see that in the referenced article. But social platforms may be the only way to reach certain consumer segments. I personally know a few people who spend most of their time on the internet on FB, you just can't get them anywhere else online. Social channels may be the vehicle to do so cheaply. But they aren't the only ones indeed.

We've been getting a lot of inexpensive in comparison to Google clicks from social channels for some clients. So I have to say I see how getting massive remarketing lists might work with LK's strategy. But that may be impeded by the ban on sensitive content remarketing, or some of our clients operate in a sector that has no chance of getting meaningful social ads approved. 

Having said that, I believe that is possible to find some client accounts that could benefit from the proposed approach.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.