AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Partner Test for a dull Tuesday morning

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

We're all in the final slump before the big holiday. So something that will jog your brains Smiley Wink

Look at the image below and tell us which row would you pick as a winner and why?

Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 9.54.20 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
January 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Given the available information, I'd pick #3 as well.  It wins on two important metrics:

Conversions/Impression and ROAS.

I don't like to look at ROAS in isolation if total conversion value can be influenced by a large order.  The likelihood that one single order that was way over AOV was down to the ad variant is very low.  So, when you can have big fluctuations in conversion value based on a smaller number of events, then you need to get some other context before you can make a decision.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Sort of a trick question since you haven't outlined what the goal would be. For all that we know, these ads could be for gold bullion, rubber ducks, and signups for timeshares. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

As @Miguel M indicates there's information missing before you can make an informed decision.

Of most interest to me would be why the top ad has had so many more impressions, which would indicate Google are choosing which ad shows, they are not in strict rotation.

So many things could influence the decision. 

On the surface, I'd say the bid prices are way too high.

There's also no information on any remarketing you might have set up to capture the visitors again.

You could put a solid argument for 1 or 3 and 2 might have issues with the landing page as time on site is much higher.

Data, we need more data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It depends on the overall extrinsic / intrinsic value of the account's impact on the integrated marketing strategy. That said, #3 wins in ROI and #1 wins with highest TCV. 

Unless you goal was to spend all that money to have people on a site for 78 seconds at a time. 

Re: Partner Test for a dull Tuesday morning

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Sorry guys, I neglected to add the goals in since I was thinking everyone just optimizes for RoI and that I didn't want to overcomplicate - but oversimplify. Having said that, we're not looking for the best performing ad in any particular metric as much as seeing how an ad is performing on all fronts.

So, as @Nat Finn mentions, personally, I agree that #3 would win. The value of conversion received per click, lowest bounce rate (qualifies a user + brand recognition gets hard wired), decent conv rate and decent CPA. It forms the comfortable middle ground where we don't lose too much and it doesn't hurt that the CTR is the highest. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mark H
January 2017

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Given the available information, I'd pick #3 as well.  It wins on two important metrics:

Conversions/Impression and ROAS.

I don't like to look at ROAS in isolation if total conversion value can be influenced by a large order.  The likelihood that one single order that was way over AOV was down to the ad variant is very low.  So, when you can have big fluctuations in conversion value based on a smaller number of events, then you need to get some other context before you can make a decision.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

I don't have anything new to add, but thanks for sharing this Mark. It brought up some great questions and responses. We should do more of these.