Partners
2K members online now
2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Partner Spotlight: Spike Murphy

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Get to know your fellow community members!

Today, we're throwing the spotlight on @Spike M, a northern California partner who likes old school tabletop role-playing games and bodybuilding.

Screen Shot 2016-06-28 at 3.29.29 PM.png 

How do you explain what you do to someone who is unfamiliar with AdWords?

I make those ads that follow you around the internet. It's sorta like madlibs with math. My more nuanced answer is that I figure out who the customers for a business are and how people find that business, and then make internet ads to help bring them together.

What is a professional milestone you hope to achieve, and how will you get there?

I want to be an early adopter of beacon technologies and using them for our clients. As for how to get there, I suppose I'm going to have to learn Eddystone.

What is the best AdWords-related advice someone ever gave you?

Google doesn't make money being your friend; they make money being a business. Always remember that they have a bottom line and that it might not be the same as yours.

Besides AdWords, what is your favorite Google product or tool, and why?

The physical internet integration in Google Chrome. This is the future of not just marketing but of day to day life. The possibilities are nearly endless.

What do you do in real life when you’re not on a phone or computer?

Tabletop games, particularly Pathfinder, though I have more than a hundred different board and card games and dozens of RPGs. I'm also a competitive bodybuilder so I spend a lot of time at the gym or prepping meals.

1524660_10203908532048146_2805728914832749981_n.jpg

Want to be featured in a Spotlight? We look for Partners who are posting, answering questions, and generally engaging in the community, and every two weeks, we spotlight a different member. You could be next!

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Partner Spotlight: Spike Murphy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Awesome!
And I loved the cake, brought it into work for the rest of the agency to devour once I'd had someSmiley Happy
And not to nitpick but while I do love desktop RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment and Shadowrun Hong Kong, my first love is tabletop games like Dungeons and Dragons (pre-4th ed), Pathfinder, Shadowrun, Star Wars Imperial Assault, Infinity, and so, so , so many more. I honestly feel that tabletop gaming gave me more skills and insight into PPC marketing and tools like Analytics and AdWords than anything else; I try to min/max every clients accountSmiley Very Happy

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
OK, I'll edit that sentence. It was a brain slip on my part.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well deserved @Spike M! Nice to hear a bit more about you, have a great day.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @Google Partners, you rock!

And thanks for the props @Trevor_Stewart Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Great spotlight, @Spike M.

Thanks for being a Google Partner and sharing life with us here in the Google Partners headquarters! 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@James_Clemens

I love being on here, it's so great to interact with other digital marketing professionals, especially considering I have such an unorthodox background. This is a great way to get not just solutions but different answers, and to stay on top of what's new and actually useful. The big sites will regurgitate every new feature that gets a press release or announcement video, but here if someone points out something new it's almost always with a use case or application in mind. Plus how else are we supposed to needle Google into continually improving and getting better? Smiley Tongue

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Right on to those great points, @Spike M.

And let's keep Google sharp. Robot wink

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@SpikeM congrats on the spotlight and I love your story.
Mike Blackmore - 1 Click Away From a Conversion

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Glad to be learning more about you, Spike! Congrats on the spotlight.