Partners
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

New Test Shows SEO CTR Drop from 35% to 20% - New Age of PPC?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 10.19.01 AM.png

Search Engine land also reported on this: https://www.seroundtable.com/google-adwords-ads-can-result-in-15-point-drop-in-organic-click-through...  A 15% CTR drop is exactly like dropping from Position 1 to Position 2.  This seems significant enough for clients to reevaluate their PPC vs SEO budgets.  

Do Y'all feel like this is an opportunity for PPC to take away some budget from SEO?  At my old agency the SEO budgets were larger than the PPC budgets.  Do Y'all feel like that is going to change soon due to having 4 ads above the fold now?  

Could be an interesting time for PPC marketers.  I can see SEO budget being pushed to PPC.  What other affects do you believe there will be?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Test Shows SEO CTR Drop from 35% to 20% - New Age of PPC?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I"m not sure. I've always thought it was easier to attribute ROI to PPC vs SEO. I think if there's a positive ROI, then the budget should be unlimited (in theory). I have always thought people need to put more into PPC, but then again, I'm very biased!

Re: New Test Shows SEO CTR Drop from 35% to 20% - New Age of PPC?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
That's what I believe. The traceability of PPC vs SEO is a huge incentive. Several of my clients rather go the organic route. Especially true for home buying websites. They seem to always want to do more SEO and never any PPC.