Partners
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Negative Branding Campaign on AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

57687b580724b0.30886441.png

Happy Friday Y'all. 

Have any of you done negative campaigning?  Bidding on someone else's brand keyword and running negative ads?  I've done a bit in the political realm.  The returns were high... with the CTRs 2X to 3X of an ordinary campaign.  What do you think?  Especially in markets where there are 2 large competitors.  

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Negative Branding Campaign on AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Seems like it could be a risky strategy. And, obviously, you cannot use the competitor's name in your ad. Hmmm. I always like a good test!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In my mind, it is "lowbrow" click baiting - but sadly, click baiting works. It also creates a psychological trigger of "danger" if the user doesn't click and we are programmed to heed warnings to avoid danger. Essentially, it is like the Jedi mind trick, it works on the weak-minded.

There is particular agency that uses the trick quite often, "Don't sign up for AdWords - before you check out..." - suffice to say, it works for them and they have run those ads for years.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
And Caspar Mattress pushing the unfair advantage rule pretty hard by linked to its site AND to the Inc. Magazine 's Liz Welch article on the company. When I checked, they also simultaneously show ads to their own site and to the Google Trusted Store reviews page for their site.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Mattress is a brutal industry. But it's not alone... personal injury especially truck accidents is similar.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I know what agency you are referring to. This particular agency has gain a reputation for bidding on the keyword "AdWords." Every so often I'll try to log into AdWords and instead see an ad. Haha.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
My "test" indicates for some areas it does have a huge impact. It certainly stands out.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The mattress industry is brutal and going through a major reshuffling that has been in force for about two years now. Nothing is stable and nothing is as it appears. I will not speak publicly on it, but oh boy is it in flux.

A lot of It reminds me of the banking industry mergers of the past... and some things feel a little Pirates of the Caribbean, too.