Partners
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

*NEW* Google Search - Mobile Friendly Testing tool has launched!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share a new tool that is being slowly rolled out by Google, had the pleasure of beta-testing the tool and now it is officially being rolled out across the board. John Mueller Webmaster Trends Analyst lead the charge and said its OK to share it with the masses. Just wanted to pass it along, they are trying to go deeper into mobile friendly sites and what steps you need to take to get the best results. I assume that it will continue to get better and better after the release and future updates, so add it to your arsenal and if you see anything missing or that could make it better share your thoughts and I will do my best to get them to the right people.

Capture1.JPG
Google Search - Mobile Friendly Test:
https://search.google.com/search-console/mobile-friendly 

Enjoy, Have a great day! 

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: *NEW* Google Search - Mobile Friendly Testing tool has launched!

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
A lot of it comes down to "less is more". I think that is the next evolution of web content. With the surge in mobile usage and the need for sites that load fast on mobile and deliver a good user experience on mobile all the flashy javascript and bulky css will be gone. What remains will probably be better I think.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Good points Mike, every time I see run one of these tests, the 1st issues I see are "flashy JavaScript and bulky CSS" issues. So I agree at some point cleaning the mess will be commendatory. Thanks for digging in...

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@MikeJohnston I am inclined to think it will also depend on the nature of the mobile website. I agree that a lot of the interactive effects used on desktop are superfluous on mobile, but others which rely on databases might still require these scripts. Maps, renderings and previewed content are some examples of possible exceptions.

A lot of JQuery and JavaScript effects can also be replaced with CSS3, which will reduce load time. There is also the AMP HTML versions of pages, which can be cached by Google and are ideal for quick loading on mobile. https://www.ampproject.org/docs/get_started/about-amp.html#google-amp-cache

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
AMP is pretty limited though (by design). I agree though that you can create a slimmed down site that is both mobile friendly and provides good user experience