AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Mobile video ads be different?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Story about stories.. 

Should YouTube ads be different, because they are viewed on Mobile?

This very very large marketing agency's (I used to work there) bigwigs realized: We don't know the best ways to tell the stories on mobile. And started asking: What are the rules of this new environment?

So they cut 3 versions of a client's TV video and tested it on YouTube. One of those versions they created was a "doesn't look like an ad," "doesn't feel like an ad" version. Minute 2:30 here: https://goo.gl/k5MxQJ .

That video outperformed the other versions (on mobile!) by far. People who chose to watch those ads watched 3 times longer! Oh, and they didn't recall seeing an ad, but remembered the brand

It doesn't need to look like an ad to move your brand! Words to live by when we produce video ads for our clients.

They are now pondering: Maybe mobile is not about being Quicker, but simply better! Who knew that when we have a choice, we skip forced advertising! =D

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile video ads be different?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Good point, @Julia_Muller.

I think many forget that brand building is not necessarily advertising (and often is not) and advertising is not necessarily brand building. While they both play on the same platforms, and share some common strategies, they are different and have different goals, objectives and strengths and weaknesses.

Marketing? PR? Advertising? Brand Building? So many options... which one should a company use to gain traction?

All of them, but in different ways and at different times!

As for cloaking ads as content... this can be good and/or cause issues with the FTC and bring down conversions. But they can do great things, too, so it is a play that must be measured and put into use smartly. Think it through and plan accordingly. 

Happy Friday!

- James

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @James_Clemens

As far as I am concerned, everything you say and do is advertising. Working on brand awareness, brand recognition is also very much an advertising undertaking, PR and marketing are under the same umbrella. 

Cloaking is a bit of an extreme term to use for this example. They aren't cloaking, they are entertaining first, revealing product later. And let's not forget that the advertiser is paying for this view too. So, they are paying to entertain me.

I see this practice as delivering a break from the dumb advertising flood in my life. Frankly, the only way to get through to me. Note: I do not watch cable TV, haven't subscribed for years. I am an overly tired consumer of ads, don't do well with the matter-of-factly "here is our great brand, buy it, buy it now!" ads. I like me an enigma of an ad, that grabs my attention before it introduces the product. It'll entertain me first and at then will introduce the product that supposedly fits into that entertaining context. If the relationship between the ad and the product/service is organic, I'll consider buying. Otherwise, not a chance. But before I'll consider buying, the brand has to get to me through the clutter. In a gist, I think their 3rd clip is brilliant. 100% genius. =D

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I do see your point, @Julia_Muller, but still see them as different. 

For me, I can accept all of them being under one umbrella, in general, but not specifically. You can eat tacos (if you like tacos) and I can eat pizza (you know I like pizza) and we both are eating (umbrella)... but we both are experiencing something different.

I am with you on the tired consumer and really like most all of Mountain Dew's commercials and always have. My comment of cloaking is in general with this style of advertising, which many content creators fail to execute as well as Mountain Dew does. When it's done right, it's clever. When it done badly, it's a fail. So for those learning, they should think it through and put it to use smartly. 

Mountain Dew has always brought an entertaining experience to the screen with catchy music, slogans, and adventures... where my mind can still replay some from years ago, such as the one jumping out of an airplane or the one jumping off a bridge. These are several years old yet fresh in my mind when I think Mountain Dew. 

Talk about effective brand building! While I do not drink it all that much anymore, the brand is solidly planted. Mountain Dew might be king when it comes to this. 

I also like movies that place brands in them naturally and find it hits a different part of my brain. Very clever use of a consumer's time. I think VR advertising needs to do this and in a big way.

Happy Saturday... Do the Dew!

- James 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Indeed @James_Clemens. This is an example of a very well executed idea of putting entertainment value forward.

We create video ads for our clients, it is an important concept to try to get inspired by. Although our clients don't usually have Mountain Dew kind of budget Smiley Happy, but we try to deliver superior creative concepts and execution.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Budget does play a big part, @Julia_Muller, in the success of a campaign.

If they get you to jump out of the plane, versus paying someone... it will save some money. Robot tongue 

Julia Doing the Dew.... ahhhhhhweeeeeeeee! 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Nope, don't drink any carbonated drinks. Bad stomach Smiley Wink

Julia Muller,