Partners
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

March Digital Marketing Takeaways (Number Crunching)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Some takeaways from March.  

Mobile is IT.

According to Marin and their $7.8 Billion dollars in ad spend, mobile has taken over desktop for the first time, with more than 50% of their budgets now being spent on mobile.

Click through rates on AdWords Search is 3 times higher than for social or AdWords display.

Comparing 2015 with 2016, smartphone clicks increased 13% with spending which increased 11%. Nearly three-quarters of online buyers use mobile to shop. That’s a compelling number.

Bizarre Insights conducted a survey of 9,142 consumers in the US and Canada and found that 73% of online buyers use mobile devices to shop online. They also found 21% of consumers use their phone when in the store. Of these here’s the break down.
         63% who use mobile devices in store are looking for competitors’ coupons and prices.
         53% compare a retailer’s in store and online prices and coupons
         39% check that an item is in stock before visiting a local store

In a Think With Google in March, Lisa Gevelber stated that Mobile makes up 88% of all ‘near me’ searches. This mobile search has grown 146% year over year.

CPC increased a Bit after 4 Ads

Kenshoo published a study focusing on the First week of results after Google removed Right Hand Side Ads. The study indicated there was a 1 penny decrease in CPC. Not too bad. Kenshoo also noted that the week over week change was within normal variance.

CTR Increased a Lot after 4 Ads

Accuracast looked at the 7 day period before and after the change in ad placements. There was a large increase of 18.2% for ads in position 4 and a substantial increase of 8.4% for position 1 and 7.7% for position 2.

Digital Ad Spend > Television in 2017

eMarketer released a study predicting that total digital spend will surpass TV for the first time in 2017. In 2017, eMarketer predicted TV ad spending will total $72.01 billion, or 35.8% of total media ad spending in the US. Total digital ad spending in 2017 will equal $77.37 billion, or 38.4% of total ad spending. By 2020, TV’s share of ad spending is predicted to drop below one-third.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: March Digital Marketing Takeaways (Number Crunching)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Thanks, Tony! Great info.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
No problem. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Great read Tony!

Are a lot of your car dealer clients doing much outside of search?

We have played around with a good amount of display outside of Adwords through various avariousnges and DFA.

Do you use programmatic mobile initiatives to reach thise that are on the go? If so, what have you seen work the best from a CPL level?

We have seen and put to test a large range of media reaches from Geo fencing to even running Waze ads without ever comparing to the ROI of search. I guess there will always be the benifits of branding....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi trevor. We do a lot of branding since we handle tradition as well (radio/television). We use the following third party vendors for branding efforts (worth checking out)

Centro
Spot X Change
El Toro IP Targeting
AdRoll
Snapchat
Twitter

We haven't used Waze yet. Maybe I'll try it out . According to Marin they are developing programmatic mobile initiatives dependent on what someone sees on television... I'm excited for that.

Of all the things Snapchat has worked best. ROI on branding is hard to track. But we handle both the traditional and digital so if not enough cars move at the end of the month then it's on us.... There's no in house fighting.