Partners
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Map pack showing description lines?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hey guys,

Curious to know if this is a feature and I've been living under a rock or if this looks like a beta?

A short description of the business has appeared in a few map pack listings.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_10_27_08_PM.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Map pack showing description lines?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark H,

This came out a while back and then was not widely used (from what I saw)... and then it seemed to reappear more heavily June 2016. I think it is something that is randomly-employed depending on listing factors, ranks, reviews, etc.. It's one of those under-utilized features waiting to be put to work.

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Ah, thanks James!
Any idea how to actually utilize it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark H, very welcome sir. 

From the help files... "there are two types of short business descriptions you might see on Google Maps: editorial summaries and review snippets. Writers compile these short descriptions, which give you a quick snapshot of a popular business. These summaries are phrases or sentences (such as the example on the map above: “Southwestern fare in a modern setting”) that you often see when you click the business on Maps."

From my understanding, some of the info is auto-generated, some of it is added by Google. And some of it is pulled from Google My Business listings and structured snippets. And the reviews left on Google. I am a Google Local Guide and when reviewing reviews locally, I see four or five words added above some businesses in the maps that is a basic summary of several reviews.

If you have a well-populated Knowledge Panel, well-structured website, a nicely created Google My Business listings, and some wordy reviews (not just stars)... a description line should be present or show up soon enough.

I will keep an eye out and update this if I find out more.

Kind Regards,

James   

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I did a search that got me to the same general area; pet food, Toronto, and it did not show me the description.