AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Map pack showing description lines?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hey guys,

Curious to know if this is a feature and I've been living under a rock or if this looks like a beta?

A short description of the business has appeared in a few map pack listings.

Screen_Shot_2016-08-03_at_10_27_08_PM.png

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Map pack showing description lines?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark H,

This came out a while back and then was not widely used (from what I saw)... and then it seemed to reappear more heavily June 2016. I think it is something that is randomly-employed depending on listing factors, ranks, reviews, etc.. It's one of those under-utilized features waiting to be put to work.

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Ah, thanks James!
Any idea how to actually utilize it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mark H, very welcome sir. 

From the help files... "there are two types of short business descriptions you might see on Google Maps: editorial summaries and review snippets. Writers compile these short descriptions, which give you a quick snapshot of a popular business. These summaries are phrases or sentences (such as the example on the map above: “Southwestern fare in a modern setting”) that you often see when you click the business on Maps."

From my understanding, some of the info is auto-generated, some of it is added by Google. And some of it is pulled from Google My Business listings and structured snippets. And the reviews left on Google. I am a Google Local Guide and when reviewing reviews locally, I see four or five words added above some businesses in the maps that is a basic summary of several reviews.

If you have a well-populated Knowledge Panel, well-structured website, a nicely created Google My Business listings, and some wordy reviews (not just stars)... a description line should be present or show up soon enough.

I will keep an eye out and update this if I find out more.

Kind Regards,

James   

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
I did a search that got me to the same general area; pet food, Toronto, and it did not show me the description.