Partners
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Leaving Corporate America

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How many of you have made the jump from your corporate jobs to working for yourself, with your own agency?  

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Leaving Corporate America

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Joshua J

This is the right audience to ask that question to. I believe that you will find a good amount of the Top Contributor program members made that jump to their own agency and probably a few of Google Partners in the same boat. I have made the jump several years ago when AdWords was a bit less exploited, lol.

Great question!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I have. I made the jump a little more than a year ago. I highly recommend it. There's nothing like working for yourself. It's the best feeling, knowing that whether you fail or succeed it's on you.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Hello @Joshua J

I made the jump from corporate America to running my own agency oh gosh, about 7 years ago, Geez! That's a long time!

I've never regretted making that decision and agree with @Trevor_Stewart that there are other Google Partners that have made the leap of faith and are glad they did. Concur with @Tony_Guo that running your own agency is the best feeling in the world because you made the decision to do it and took action.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Joshua J,

Yes, I made the jump... back in 1992 first as a product design company, then added layers of specializations: branding, technology, website development, marketing, social media management, digital advertising. No wonder I am tired. lol This are all areas I have a passion for, which is why I am involved in them all. Otherwise, I would only play in 1-2 areas. 

My advice is to find your #1 passion and run with it... and once you master it (or get it well-contained) add in the #2 passion... and on and on you go. Keep things simple at first then layer in complexities as you are feeling able/willing and there is a need for something. The onion is grown one layer at a time. 

You can do it... I know you can!

Kind Regards,

James 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joshua J
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree with finding your passion. You would never want to work so hard for something you didn't love. And, something you don't find highly interesting.

I left the corporate world in 2003 and I've never looked back. I was a bit lucky when I started b/c we didn't rely on my income. I was able to gradually build my business on a part-time basis... It was kind of "just something to do". That changed years later when I decided to jump in with both feet. You won't regret it!