Partners
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Landing page experience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

Been a long time since I've posted here.  Actually haven't posted since the move from G+ and I am still very active there.  I have a question about using an overlay on a landing page.  I remember that it used to be an issue.  My idea is to have a landing page that displays and then after a few seconds a semi-transparent overlay that asks the user to take a specific action.  The action is reflective of the page content and asks if the user would like to download a specific app.  Is this in any way a violation? 

My research of best practices etc has led me to this info -  "By definition, a marketing overlay opens within the same window, does not interfere with user experience, and does not prevent visitors from entering or exiting sites"

Is this still operative and best practice?

Thanks all!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Landing page experience

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Like a jquery lightbox?

Landing page experience

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi John,

It's about time you visit us here. Smiley Happy

What you are asking is allowed but the results will vary based on how you actually set everything up... and with the visitors/users, as well.

With that said, as long as the browser functions (menu bar, back button, etc..) are not blocked you are within policy with AdWords. Many prefer to build an "above the fold" action bar or action block with the download listed versus a persistent nag screen. Some users bail when anything takes over, pops up, etc.. The use of a nag screen is highly debated and people fall into the I love them (accept them) or I hate them (leave sites that use them) category. I, personally, do not like them as far too many use tricks like hiding the X/close button and/or require filling it out to close it... which I will immediately leave the site and never return. 

Keep in touch,

James

Landing page experience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks James - 

You are always a source of great information and insight.  I had a feeling that it was generally OK, but the clarification is appreciated.

Landing page experience

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes - along those lines.

Landing page experience

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi John,

You are very welcome and I appreciate your kind words... and feel that way about you, too. It's great to see your post here and hope you will bend your G+ presence slightly to visit us more.

Cheers,

James