AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Pages Optimization

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hey Y'Alls! We have a new client who is a bit of a prickly pear. For landing pages, we tend to recommend having the lead forms above the fold since as we know, we have a few seconds to capture user attention.

This client apparently does not believe in lead forms, and he wants to know stats that lead forms are important, and that they should be above the fold. (Or below the fold. That they should exist in the first place.)

The goal of the landing pages is to capture potential client information via form fill or phone call. SO, my q is, I"ve been trained this way all my digital-life, have seen many posts about it, but I cannot find stats on it. Like, people saw a %75 increase after changing their landing pages type of thing. 

Does anyone have that info handy?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Landing Pages Optimization

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
It's a tough thing to search for, with just about every split testing / landing page optimization provider filling the web with clickbait-esque headlines, and anecdotal stats on lead form placement on the page (one article mentioned a 300+% increase moving it below the fold, but did not cite a source).

If the client would be open to split testing, try having a small CTA that opens/focuses to a lead form above the fold and one below, and the typical above the fold form. In my experience with landing pages, it's a delicate balance between conversion performance, and attention grabbing, as you mentioned - split testing for their target audience may reveal the right answer.

On the note of lead forms on a landing page at all... that's a new one!

I'm struggling to find or recall information on stats comparing a landing page with and without a form. If the client wishes to have people click thru to their site, why waste the money on the click and miss out on potential lead information? Landing page bounce rates are typically absolutely horrid, and is generally a good secondary metric to conversion rate for optimization of forms/layout/copy.

I'll keep looking around, but hopefully another Partner has a quick resource on hand Smiley Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Right! It was a total new one to me. And it's weird since I know the answer, but I can't find a percent or anything really legitimate and tangible to show. And since the goal of this is lead capture, then not having a contact form makes it even stranger. We have about 6 other landing pages for this company, and each one is approved by a different Chair of the company. It's just this one that doesn't believe in forms, and I have honestly never encountered that. He thinks it makes him look too much like his competition, however his competition is doing it and it's working, so it's a bit of a moot point.  @Andrew Slattery

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

hey @rachelle h,

About believing in lead forms, if your client doesn't believe in them, s/he obviously thinks there is a better way to collect prospects. Is it the phone? Do they want call-only campaigns only? I heard about clients that only want phone calls. Don't have one like that myself though. 

The closest stats I remember seeing to what you're looking for is this KissMetrics data here. I hate to say it, but it seems to prove that lead form above the fold (ATF) isn't a must:

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 17.38.41.png

Specifically, KISSmetrics' Thue Madsen ( I have seen and heard quite a few of his presentations, and have a lot of respect for him) says "above the fold is not automatically the best solution – despite what many best practice believers ou..." There is a test they ran, and the control with the ATF form did poorly in comparison to the test with the form pushed way down to the bottom.

Depending on the user's intent, you may not want the form above the fold (ATF), but usually it is a good idea to have it ATF. If they are email signups, or white paper downloads then def they go ATF. In my experience, placing the form ATF may not always work in the early stages of product/service awareness. And even when the intent is clearly to buy now, showing the form ATF is not a do or die, but pretty darn close. For most of our clients we do ATF ..but, as other content may require quite some space on the landing page, pushing the form On The Fold becomes ok, so that prospects can see the top of the form  and understand what's expected of them.

Here are some other sources (all quite credible imo) that argue for or against placing the form ATF: 

Unbounce's overall discussion (an oldie but goodie), go to the part called How To Chose What To Place Above The Fold

Oli Gartner's opinion on putting the form above the fold (source here):

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 17.05.39.png

Peep Laja's presentation at 2013 SearchLove in London: (68 pages) If it is critical to show your prospects immediately upon arrival that they will be filling out the form, then the form definitely has to be ATF according to this peace of stats:

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 16.57.50.png

Moz' discussion on what to place and not to place above the fold

My favorite Joanna Wiebe's quote (source here):

Screen Shot 2016-04-15 at 17.12.23.png

Hope this helps. 

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I would A/B split on your client campaign rather than looking at data from other sources (which are reliable & respected as well). You can either use Unbounce or set up Google Analytics Experiments with 2 different landing pages and see what happens.

Also, you can considered A/B test a page with a form against a page with a pop-up form. You'll find that the conversions on the pop-up form (when someone clicks a button) leads to higher conversions.

Hope this helps.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
I think that really the landing page has to be about user experience as well as any other page on a website. I think that you can satisfy goals of lead aqquisition without making your potential clients jump through pre-defined hoops o by our page like trained poodles. I don't like it when a site tries to do that to me and neither do any other internet savvy consumers.