AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Is it better to start with old copy when you write extended text ads?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I've been writing lots of extended ads recently. Sort of plunged into ETAs and realized that I need to learn how to swim all over. 

Do you find those are a breed of their own? Or are they simply our usual 25/35/35 ads that we all know so well, but with a little more space, well 50% more?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it better to start with old copy when you write extended text ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Julia_Muller,

I think they are great overall. And I think, for the most part, that starting fresh is more ideal. 

Happy creatives,

James

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey J Clemens. Have you written a lot of them yet? With volume I am noticing changing dynamics with extended ads as we they accumulate impressions.

Thinking it may have taken the public at large some time to notice and start reading 30/30/80 characters as opposed to quickly skimming 25/35/35 character ads that dominated search for the last decade+.

And the biggest revelation yet is that paid search marketers may be finally getting the hang of writing those extended ads efficiently. I know I am just warming up to my full potential for the amount of charachter space we now have.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Julia_Muller,

Yes, you are right on that. Consumers are thinking on all of this info being thrown at them now... and us advertisers are rethinking ad creation in a new way. We certainly get to tell tell more of the story with expanded text ads (ETA).  The plus side is that we can use more keywords and write more naturally... we can get more in-depth to a subject. But, with more space, we (any advertiser) can also veer further off course, and confuse the consumer easier, too. It's a fun balance to achieve.   

I have done my fair share of them and am working through them weekly. I have't liked just throwing more words at a standard text ad (STA), which is why I say to create new ones. Those standard ads were created with constraints in mind... now we have to rethink with a different set of constraints. I have found that it's not a given that a ETA will outperform a STA just by existing and sometimes a STA.

I just hope later this year they do not decide to remove the ETAs and ask us all to edit them back down. Robot LOL

Kind Regards,

James 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
hi Julia,

Its great that there is more space to write new ads but it also means we have to rethink how ads will appear and how they should be written. I am for starting with new extended test ads then getting used to them.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Agreed. Standard ads are a good start for comfort. Yet, I find I often end up re-thinking the whole approach with the Extended ETAs.

Julia Muller,

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
While I like to use older STA's as a base or inspiration, I've been finding that coming up with something fresh offers new insight.

I've been doing more feed optimization lately than text ad writing, but even there I've been finding that using new tools and features to research optimization made it clear that I needed ditch the old optimization and create something fresh.

And where I see big potential for the ETA's is for voice based search queries. The extra space allows us to better incorporate or address the types of searches people do with voice instead of text. Voice searches tend to be longer and more conversational, and ETA's allow us to engage in that conversation much better. I still wish they would allow us to segment voice from text search in Analytics.