AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Is it better to Create Ads quickly with Display Ad Builder tool or to Involve Agency Designer?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I mean here is a question we often answer with a resounding yes! The quality of the outcome is good enough when we consider the amount of time agency designers save. Their input is far more valuable when we build client websites, or create other graphic assets for the client.

Consider this: I, AdWords manager, scan a page of my choosing (depending on ad copy and intended ad group targeting, I may select different originating pages with different images, or use the same image throughout) and in a matter of seconds I get various style ads created in all GDN accepted sizes in the HTML5 format. Animated too, where possible. Plus I get to edit copy for those display ads, once I have chosen good creative and style, formatting it for the display ad sizes and styles that I settle on. How long on average? Under 20 minutes all in for a campaign with say 5-10 ad groups!

Some images that Ad Builder scans from those originating pages are already processed by our designers in the first place, thus they are more ready than they'll ever be for auto-insertion into Display ads, they may also have some language on them as well, so there is less copy to add. But when we are working with a sub-par client website, which we haven't built, some of the images even on the worst advertiser sites are quite acceptable, and are fully worth testing. They've surprised us in the past. 

How do you approach this dilemma? I know our designers like to be involved in ad creation, but they only enjoy doing that every once in a while. Not for every Display campaign, every ad group, for every client. It's more a job for a robot, and less for a person.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it better to Create Ads quickly with Display Ad Builder tool or to Involve Agency Designer?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Current approach that seems to work:

1. Use Display Builder to create quick ads that test copy and imagery, like what you do.
2. Run Ad Tests on that. The winner gets upgraded to an in-house designed ad that pretty much uses the same copy/imagery as the Ad Builder versions, but the designers add their own tweaks and make it banner worthy.

Re: Is it better to Create Ads quickly with Display Ad Builder tool or to Involve Agency Designer?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Yes! That's what we do too @Mark H. It only makes sense to double down on the winners.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What a great conversation, @Julia_Muller.

For smaller budgets or quick burst campaigns, Display Builder is great and the preferred way to go.

And I agree completely on the methodology of Mark. (what a catchy phrase: Methodology of Mark) Robot LOL

In general, Display Builder works great for most ads or for compiling an idea and making an ad super quick. Raw ad creation works great for more complex solutions.

Have a great Friday,

James

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thought I'd pick something light to talk to my peers by the water coolor on a Friday Cat Wink @James_Clemens. There was a time in the not so distant past we preferred to make all, even test ads ourselves. But when there is a tool this quick and this good, what's not to like!?

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Absolutely, Julia!

It's great to enjoy a happy Friday discussing ad creation... or anything that pops up here on the Advertiser Community!

Display Ads are fun to make, enjoyable to see, and profitable to the business employing them. That is a whole lot of LIKE, if you ask me.

I hope you have a great weekend.

- James