Partners
5K members online now
5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

How should I approach prospects to manage their AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

This question should be fun! Let's hear a bit of your secret sauce on client acquisition.

Every agency will take a different approach, yet what is their focus?

I have jotted a few traditional ways down that can still be affective.

1. Show what type of work they do that sets them above the competition.

2. Point out some mistakes that their agency is currently making and capitalize.

3. Undercut the competition's fees.

4. Audit first, then offer assessment accordingly. 

Let's hear what makes you the shark on the block!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How should I approach prospects to manage their AdWords?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Trevor_Stewart,

This is a very valuable topic that could be discussed deeply for a long time. lol

We actually start with #4. We make sure we understand the business, what they are doing right and wrong, and then prepare ourselves accordingly.

We actually look at the full sales stream, not just digital advertising. We assess their branding, parking lot, showroom, bathrooms, sales team, computers, point of sales system, closing process, products, pricing and more... and compare this to competitors, industry averages and benchmarks, etc.. Some laugh at this process, such as assessing the customer bathrooms, but surprisingly a dirty bathroom suggests a sloppy, dirty management process of that business. Details matter!

I can work intelligently & diligently to bring in a swarm of customers to a business, but if the above elements prevent a completed sale, the business lost a sale and the whole team suffers.

How does this answer correlate to AdWords?  

Great question, thanks for asking.

By the time we have spent the time discussing all of this, they know I am serious about their business being successful and not me simply selling them a product or process (which is too easy). They also know me better, have had a chance to talk, question, listen, laugh and drop a few "wow, I did not know that" along the way. And when I come back and present a final battle plan, they take it seriously, too. 

After we do this, we rarely have to compete with anyone, which means what the competitor charges no longer has any value, which means we also do not have to jump through hoops to qualify ourselves. And we never rip apart another agency, brand or product. We do this with all Google products, too. Whether presenting Google Chrome against another browser or AdWords against another digital ad platform. We present information as being the best for our client, which it is. If another agency has a better mousetrap for our client, we back it, accept it and put it into action with the disclaimer that their idea seems solid and if they put it into action correctly, it should work. Our clients actually bring us everything and allow us to be the final voice for it because of building on this type of thinking with them.  

The short answer is to never sell a product or process... sell yourself by being polite, professional, prompt, and providing the right answers. I don't sell AdWords... I solve the client's problem of needing more customers.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Great answer @James_Clemens, we always drill deep in a client's data and business. Most cases it is quite easy to see how and where you can help the client with education and understanding that their  investment is 100% measurable. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks, @Trevor_Stewart.

If we all think about educating clients and solving their problems... the rest will fall into place. Far too many try to be salespeople, which are not generally trusted or are accepted with wide eyes. 

Happy Monday,

James