Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Have You Ever Been Asked About Salary at an Interview?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Happy Wednesday Y'all.  Interviews are tough.  At my old agency, I conducted 3-4 interviews each day for PPC manager positions.  I ended up becoming the PPC manager after 6 months of interviews and no luck.  

One of the questions that comes up was salary expectations.  

"What was your salary in your last position?" (this question is illegal in Massachusetts) 

"What are your salary expectations?" 

Is it fair to ask at the first interview?  How about the second?  

Have you as the interviewer asked?  Have you as the interviewee asked?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I think it absolutely has to be discussed.  I don't think I would interview for a job without having a salary range associated with the job.  I think by the 2nd interview I'd be nailing down where I would lie in that range.

When I'm hiring, I'm extremely up front about the pay.  I do not want pay to be an issue.  I need them to be able to be happy and focus on the job.  If staff feels like they are underpaid, they won't work as hard.  Better to weed out anyone that doesn't like the pay plan ahead of time.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I think in the current climate many applicants expect the information early on in the process. Not all companies are forthcoming with salaries in their job postings, which has led to websites such as Glassdoor that compile the information from current and former employees.

There are some research tools on the internet for employers and applicants, but it always best to establish transparency early on in the discussion. The same could be said when discussing business with potential clients and business partners.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've filled out applications that included a section for salary expectations/requirements, but I also recall advice I got as a job seeker to delay asking about salary until at least a 2nd interview.  As a candidate, I would want my first impressions to be about what I believe I can bring to a company, not what I expect to get out of a company.

I think, as a candidate, if questions about salary arose early in the process, I would deflect from talking numbers and try to steer the conversation more toward opportunities for advancement.  One, I would want to know if this a job where I can learn new skills and take on new responsibilities as I gain experience vs. a task-oriented, low-growth job.  Also, I would want to show that I'm eager to take initiative on learning those skills and taking on responsibility.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi 

I have always dreaded that question and how to answer it as a candidate. i would love to know what the average salaries are all around the world. 

regards,

zaby

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You can always look at glassdoor.com for the location.  Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I'm old school too.  I was taught in law school to never bring up salary.  But they never taught us what to do if the employer did.