Partners
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Grey area negatives

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
So what do you guys do for those negatives that are grey areas? They're semi-relevant to your business, generates spend and on occassion you get a conversion. I'm torn because sometimes I can see intent which I wouldn't mind spending money for and sometimes I don't. The line is so grey that I don't want to add as a negative but the conversions are so far and few in between like 3 over a 8 month period. Thoughts?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan G
December 2016

Grey area negatives

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Ryan G, Nice to see you buddy! 

Does the profit validate keeping them? I see this all the time, I usually keep them in play and if they get out of hand, they get added, in some cases I test removing them for a period of time and bring them back into play really depends on Returns & Budget.

I am sure others will have some good ideas as well!

Take care!  

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ryan G
December 2016

Grey area negatives

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Ryan G, Nice to see you buddy! 

Does the profit validate keeping them? I see this all the time, I usually keep them in play and if they get out of hand, they get added, in some cases I test removing them for a period of time and bring them back into play really depends on Returns & Budget.

I am sure others will have some good ideas as well!

Take care!  

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

Grey area negatives

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I like the idea of removing them and testing for a period of time. Thanks. 

Grey area negatives

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@Ryan G

1) Measure your ROI, the spend vs the true conversion value for the client.

2) If "the terms" are more then one word, is their a word in the phrase that can be added as a negative to remove the entire phrase in the future.

With negatives, I always try to find the single word that should be removed, at times a phrase or even an exact.  But looking for the one word or inference that can remove the crap is the best way forward.

It all comes down to ROI, if these "potential negatives" have crappy returns, they also suck budget from "better terms" that you have already identified. So the cost benefit analysis, is not based on X conversions, but should be based on Spend X, Client return $Y in revenue.    The 1 and 2's of conversion events are meaningless if the client doesn't MAKE $$$ from spending Y.

Remember a Conversion is not a Sale (or exchange of $$) unless you have a shopping campaign).  You still have to factor how many "leads"  turn into sales, ie  20% of leads convert?  So a simple conversion event tracked by Form, Phone ( anything that is not a shopping card transaction) still needs to be scrutinized in terms of true Revenue for the client in relationship to the spend for adwords and the management fees for you.

In Adwords a Conversion is a Click, to many Mangers a Conversion is a Lead, to Owners a Conversion is revenue received for their product or service.

Hope that helps.  But you are experienced enough to make the smart decisions. Smiley Happy

Grey area negatives

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Ryan, have you thought about creating a single keyword ad group (skag) just for those few and far between conversions, so you can control the spend, and adding negatives everywhere else? That might help you fine-tune the overall account without sacrificing those few conversions.

It all comes down to how much value the conversion is. If it's a $20k purchase every few weeks, keep those keywords! If it's a $150 lead, cut them. Smiley Happy