Partners
2K members online now
2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Google text ads, headlines are expanded without sacrificing ad copy

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Happy Wednesday late night Y'all.  Just got back from a client meeting... software clients.. haha.  I found this interesting article about a closed beta: http://searchengineland.com/google-adwords-expanded-text-ads-test-two-headlines-248135

adwords-expanded-text-ads-mobile-desktop.jpgIt makes a lot of sense to me.  If there's no more right side, why not make the headlines larger?  Good idea?  Bad Idea?  What do y'all think?

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google text ads, headlines are expanded without sacrificing ad copy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Why not! It looks like it gets you like one more additional line of text. I haven't seen this Beta before. Good find.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I've seen this happen with some of our client's ads when served, what I was seeing was the client name added onto the headline in desktop search ads.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I have this as an option in at least one of my client's accounts. It prompted me to edit my ad text so I could put proper punctuation at the end of the first line of ad copy. Then it could add that line to the title like it shows in your image.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Were working on getting this implemented for my client. Ill let you know the results

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

MikeJohnston wrote:
I have this as an option in at least one of my client's accounts. It prompted me to edit my ad text so I could put proper punctuation at the end of the first line of ad copy. Then it could add that line to the title like it shows in your image.

Hey @MikeJohnston - how did you edit ad text? Could you give an example where it would be, if SEL ad was used? In the example from the SEL article I don't see a period. Also, did you do anything with additional path to the display headline? I mean "example.com/NewYorkCity/Budget" Any lift in CTR you saw from that?

Cat Tongue I read a funny reaction somewhere to this beta, I think it was Ginny Marvin (she is one of my favorites AdWords writers, so hopefully I remember right) "time to remove my 25-35-35 tattoo" Cat Very Happy 

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Oh it was not Ginny actually, it was on PPC chat:

Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 10.03.26.png

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Would love to see if it has higher CTR. I imagine it would. But the difference I'm not sure how high it will be.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
That's a lot of characters....

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
I know, right, @Tony_Guo. What are we going to do with so much space now? Having been trained to speak in abbreviations and to favor shortest words in the dictionary; trunkating our everyday conversations with family and friends when senteces get longer than 35 charachters.. lol

Julia Muller,