Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Google reportedly testing SMS extension

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Via Search Engine Land, Google appears to be testing the ability for advertisers to note a call extension as supporting SMS, and adding a "Text" button next to the typical call button.

I for one think this would be a great move, as Google really doesn't have a platform for IM/bot messaging aside from Hangouts, which is a mess. 

What do you think of SMS buttons in ads?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google reportedly testing SMS extension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andrew,

Definitely interesting.

There is no platform on the Google side to handle this. They work just like a call extension does, if someone clicks to message, a text is auto populated and addressed to the phone number that the advertiser supplies. The setup/reporting is quite similar to call extensions as well. The key is having someone or a process in place to handle the texts and to only schedule the ad extensions when replies are possible.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
@PPCBossman I guess I was thinking more along the lines of major social platforms opening up the floodgates to building bot based chat/device level chat with a brand's page, like Messenger on Facebook. About 20% of our inbound leads and support tickets are through Messenger now, and I as more hoping this could be a signal of a broader implementation of Hangouts and brand pages (which was being tested about 6mo ago, iirc).

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It does seem like an obvious extension or further development of Google's "mobile first" initiative. It would have to include both live text messaging and something like automated SMS reminders when customers are within a certain proximity of a business where they have bought before like a coffee shop, etc.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I love it. It's the next logical step after phone calls. I'd love to be a beta tester for Text Only ads. I wonder if they are already in beta....