Partners
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Google Search Conversion Rates vs. Google Display Conversion Rates

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.44.51 PM.pngHere's my 2016 Conversion Rates by industry.  I added all my accounts up and thought it would be interesting to discuss Search vs. Display in terms of conversion rates.  What have Y'all seen in terms of conversion rates?  Anything really different?  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Search Conversion Rates vs. Google Display Conversion Rates

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Tony_Guo wrote:

I added all my accounts up and thought it would be interesting to discuss Search vs. Display in terms of conversion rates.

Hey Tony,

By "added" you mean straight average? As in non-weighted?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Yup. Straight average.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK, got that.

Trying to understand your categories better.. So your insurance and doctor campaigns are not Lead Gen? I guess I may be understanding "Lead Gen" differently from you. In my mind Lead Gen campaigns are all non-shopping campaigns. So e-commerce would be the same as shopping, all others are lead generation (form fills or calls, whichever). Is that the same for you?

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Good questions. Lead Generation is the category I put companies that resell leads. It's an interesting field since they primarily do call only. They get paid if a phone call lasts 120seconds. In my mind it's slightly different since it's not industry specific. One of the companies we worked with in the past was CallX.com. We have new ones now.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Oh I see. And how about "e-commerce" vs "shopping." How are they different?

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Another great question.  I should add a legend..  Smiley Happy  E-commerce is online shopping.  Shopping is for clients like our Houston rug stores who advertise sales and specials but don't have the ability to sell products online.  Their goal is to bring in foot traffic.  There are a few reasons they don't sell online, inventory, shipping, and not investing in a backend that will do sales.  

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Got it now thanks, Tony Smiley Happy I'll check our stats and see if I can share some numbers.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
I think my biggest take away from this chart would be the one category that reverses the obvious trend . That trend being that people who intentionally are searching for something are more likely to convert then people who encounter something they are not searching for in a display ad . So maybe the chart measures the likelihood that people in general will be searching for a particular's service or product . The standout differences obviously life insurance . I mean sure everyone knows that they probably should have life insurance but how many people are actively searching for it ? Yet if you see a display ad concerning life insurance it may very well pick your interest enough to make you click through to learn more because it something you know you should do . At least this is what Tony's data seems to show and it does follow the logical conclusion that I made so therefore I think it was pretty interesting .

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Very good analysis. I'm going to take a deeper dive sometime this week into the analytics and CRM (when applicable). Would be interesting to create a new chart showing intent to buy vs. the intent to learn more by industry. I actually have the data for this. I just have to crunch the numbers. I can use google analytics user flow to determine whether the user wants more information before calling or submitting a form. Can't wait to see if the results are what we think it would be.