Partners
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Gallery Image File Names, Deep Linking, & SEO

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using the Envira gallery on a client's site. He wanted Deep Linking enabled so clients can share specific images from the gallery with him and vice versa.

Currently, the links are some custom made format for Envira's deep linking add on: ../media/#!enviragallery8450-9120

My client is convinced that this will affect the SEO and ranking of these images within Google's image SERP. Because of this, he wants the gallery image URL to display the image name rather than Envira's custom slug. This is a feature Envira does not offer. 

The Envira gallery does not change the file name. It does not change the img src. It doesn't change the alt tags or the description or any of the meta data. 

Will this truly have an effect on the image's SEO and ranking? 

I don't believe it would affect anything at all. Nothing is changed except for the deep link in the Envira gallery. All the gallery is doing is pulling the image from the media library on the page (Wordpress), which is searchable by Google. 

If I can't convince the client of this, then I'm going to have to start all over again from scratch. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gallery Image File Names, Deep Linking, & SEO

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Zachary C,

If you would consider for "SEO" purposes, your gallery widget will not affect image file names or Alt tags or have anything to do with your meta data.

What your client is refering to is how friendly your Url is. What happens is some plugin/widget programmers build these plugins with shortcode to simplify the task in the CMS yet deny the ability for these pages to prosper in organic search.

Are you redoing your clients site or is it a new domain?

If by any chance you were anticipating earned visitors I would suggest possibly changing your gallery plugin to one that allowed you to publish clean (linkable) Url's.

Cheers!

Re: Gallery Image File Names, Deep Linking, & SEO

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
@Zachary C There is more than one way that images can be indexed for search. I believe @Trevor_Stewart is right about the friendly URLs used by the file name. There is another method you can use to improve the visibility of images for search. Just like the pages of the website, you can create an image XML sitemap for search engines to crawl and load that to search console.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/178636?hl=en

I also strongly encourage you to look for an alternative plugin. Seems like there are plenty of options out there that will offer a Jquery Lightbox/color box. Most of them are based is some form or another on demos available here: http://www.jacklmoore.com/colorbox/

Or you could create your own plugin that uses CSS3 Flex boxes and the Jquery lightbox to have full control over the content and the appearance. Seems like a lot of work, but you never know.