Partners
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

FTC on Native Advertising: A Guide for Businesses

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

If you advertise outside of Adwords, always be sure you are following the FTC guidelines. It's really easy to adhere to this guidelines, and just as easy to veer off course and end up in the grey zone of digital marketing. It is the responsibility of the advertisers to ensure that native ads are identifiable as advertising before consumers arrive at the main advertising page.

In other words, advertisers cannot use deceptive door openers to entice consumers.... which many advertisers today think is acceptable. If law are broken or rules of the game are twisted, we have failed our clients... and ourselves.    

Marketers and publishers are using innovative methods to create, format, and deliver digital advertising. One form is “native advertising,” content that bears a similarity to the news, feature articles, product reviews, entertainment, and other material that surrounds it online. But as native advertising evolves, are consumers able to differentiate advertising from other content?

The Federal Trade Commission Act prohibits deceptive or unfair practices.  It’s the FTC’s job to ensure that long-standing consumer protection principles apply in the digital marketplace, including to native advertising.  The FTC has issued an Enforcement Policy Statement on Deceptively Formatted Advertisements that explains how the agency applies established truth-in-advertising standards in this context.  This Guide for Businesses supplements the Enforcement Policy Statement by offering informal guidance from FTC staff to help companies apply the Policy Statement in day-to-day contexts in digital media.
The first part of this Guide summarizes the consumer protection principles that serve as the foundation for the Enforcement Policy Statement.  The second part includes examples to explain how effective disclosure can help prevent deception.  The third part features staff guidance on how to make clear and conspicuous disclosures within the format of native advertising.  Of course, this Guide can’t cover every issue associated with native advertising.  Nor does it provide a safe harbor from potential liability under Section 5 of the FTC Act.  These examples are only general guidance for advertisers. 

>> Explore the Guidelines Here <<

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: FTC on Native Advertising: A Guide for Businesses

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This is interesting, but there has to be more to it, right? Lots of people offer free downloads or introductory offers etc. Where is the line?

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Always good to see you posting here, @James_Clemens. Please come again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Shanee_Kirk, I would always recommend to adhere to all best practices... and that means FTC standards, where applicable, when operating online. I would add in COPPA, too. We also adhere to HIPPA for our medical related clients, and PCI for payment systems. And let's not overlook CAN-SPAM

For some of our clients, we do compliance audits for all of these standards, and make sure they are covered since there are hefty fines for them if they break any of these.  

Thank you, @Google Partners. Always good to be present and appreciated. Robot Happy