Partners
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

External Directories--Referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was provided Yext as a way to hit one dashboard and have clients info updated to 65 external directories. While the idea makes sense, I noticed that a lot of these directories are pretty unfamiliar, not popular, etc. The service is not cheap either. So although the idea is useful--update 65 directories with changes all at once, I don't know that anything beyond 10 are actually being used in the local area of said business. 

So two part question:

A- has anyone used Yext and can provide pros/cons? The company refuses to let you try it out for a little while and although will do a 3mth contract..the rate becomes astronomical to entice my clients to use the service. 

B- do you use any programs like Yext that you can hit multiple (relative) directories in one shot?

C- if I did external directories, I am not sure how to tell legitimate directories vs. spamming ones to not have my clients be overloaded with sales pitches.  Anyway to avoid that?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie V
July 2016

Re: External Directories--Referrals

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'd stay away as far as possible from Yext, @Stephanie V

An absolute disaster of a product. Too expensive for their lack of customer service too. We've had a few years of extensive experience with Yext, which ended about a year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot offer (related) directory alternatives. We kind of gave up on massive directory idea after Yext experience. Try this local directory service if you think it's worth it. We have not used it ourselves. But I would trust Moz with a lot more than directory updates.

Note: I am not affiliated with any competitors of Yext. I work at a full service marketing agency. Not affiliated with Moz.com. Not affiliated with any YP competitors either.

We handle directory listings one by one for clients. Also, stay away from yellow pages PAID service (free listing is something you need to do though), as they are terrible and charge an arm and a leg. Another disastrous experience I can attest too.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stephanie V
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I'd stay away as far as possible from Yext, @Stephanie V

An absolute disaster of a product. Too expensive for their lack of customer service too. We've had a few years of extensive experience with Yext, which ended about a year ago.

Unfortunately I cannot offer (related) directory alternatives. We kind of gave up on massive directory idea after Yext experience. Try this local directory service if you think it's worth it. We have not used it ourselves. But I would trust Moz with a lot more than directory updates.

Note: I am not affiliated with any competitors of Yext. I work at a full service marketing agency. Not affiliated with Moz.com. Not affiliated with any YP competitors either.

We handle directory listings one by one for clients. Also, stay away from yellow pages PAID service (free listing is something you need to do though), as they are terrible and charge an arm and a leg. Another disastrous experience I can attest too.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much. Yes- I hear you. That is my frustration is doing SEO for sites and trying to connect with legitimate external directories for linking purposes. Thank you for replying. Smiley Happy
Stephanie

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is the link I meant to post for Moz, @Stephanie Vhttps://moz.com/local

Julia Muller,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree with Julia that MOZ Local is a better alternative to Yext for most people. You need to have either a completed and verified Facebook business page or a Google My Business page to use MOZ. Some of the sites that MOZ distributes to are the big data aggregator sites that distribute to other directories and to GPS companies. Another one to consider that I do not believe any of them distribute to is Apple Maps which now lets you list and edit your own business.