Partners
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Expanded Text Ads - Officially out

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Everyone! As per Google, there are some major changes both in the way Ads are displayed, and in the targeting methods.

https://adwords.googleblog.com/2016/07/three-ad-innovations-for-mobile-first-world.html

What do you all think of that?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Expanded Text Ads - Officially out

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @brower J,

I am liking the Expanded Text Ads so far and think it was a great idea. 

How about you? Finding the good or bad with them yet? 

Kind Regards,

James

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Are you all still running standard text ads alongside the expanded?

Also, I've seen a few instances where the headlines of the expanded text ads are truncated even though they're within the 30-character limit. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas how to fix it?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Google's official answer [to me] is that if they aren't truncated in the ad preview tool, then they aren't being truncated.

There is quite a chatter in the PPC circles that they are being truncated though.

One approach I heard from someone with lots of experience is to place most importance on the first 30 characters of Headline #1 and keep in mind that the 2nd 30 characters may get truncated. Whatever the case is, I have to say extended ads are changing the name of the game from where I stand @Natalie Lloyd:

• Early funnel prospects are much easier to engage now
  • CTRs are [much] higher
  • Conversion rates are lifted
  • But CPC may be [considerably] higher as well.

Well worth the try in my [2-month-long] experience so far.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

We are still running standard text ads, but they aren't being served much when there is an extended ad available @Natalie Lloyd

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Thanks, @Julia_Muller! So are you utilizing one of the optimized ad rotation settings then?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
We are testing these side-by-side and in many cases the extended ad is FAR outperforming the standard.

In a current law client, the standard ad has a 1% CTR and the very similar extended ad has a 3% CTR. The CPC on the extended ad is $2 LESS than the standard ad. This is very limited data, so we shall see how it all plays out. Right now, they are looking promising.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Julia_Muller wrote:

• But CPC may be [considerably] higher as well.

Well worth the try in my [2-month-long] experience so far.

@Natalie Lloyd - The ad groups I was referring to are indeed utilizing "standard" rotation. Namely "Optimize delivery of ads, spending budget evenly over time." So yes, your assumption is correct. Additional observation to note here is that AdWords will stop standard ads from rotating completely if the campaign is on that "standard" delivery setting.

On a separate note I reviewed CPCs to double check per @Shanee_Kirk reply in this thread, and noticed that while CPCs were higher for the extended ads when first launched (first 2 week review). They are now indeed LOWER than Cost per Click we paid for standard ads.

Julia Muller,

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Thanks for the info @Julia_Muller and @Shanee_Kirk! I'm hoping to see some changes soon because right now, my standard ads were actually performing a little better than the expanded... which I am disappointed to see. The CTR is slightly higher on the expanded text ads but the CPC, conversion rate, and cost/conversion are much lower on the standard ads. Not what I expected to see unfortunately!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We are also testing them Side by side, thus far the longer text ads are slightly better (Wordstream actually had a study that showed almost no effect...), i think it would be a good idea to get a metric similar to 'top vs. other position' to show expanded vs. standard.