Partners
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

ETA - the one thing most weren't expecting got sneaked in as a feature

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

So, when Expanded Text Ads do a full rollout in the next 3-4 weeks, there will be a one thing coming in that I'm not sure how many of us would like.

That is, including subdomains in the Final URL.

When ETA beta was launched, and you entered:

go.domain.com/blah/bleh as the Final URL, Google would extract domain.com and use that as the Display URL.

But now, they've decided to use http://go.domain.com as the Display URL, which as you can see, includes the subdomain.

Personally, I don't like having the subdomain show for branding reasons. It also is easy for a user to spot and remember the same domain across the board during their searches. 

What are your thoughts?

Do you like having the subdomain show in the Display URL like how Google now intends it to be?

Or do you like having the main domain show in the Display URL?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ETA - the one thing most weren't expecting got sneaked in as a feature

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I very much agree @Mark H! Subdomains aren't pretty. They're also confusing for a non-assuming clicker. 

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I think it provides the consumer more info about where they are going, so in that respect it makes sense to show them.

However, I dislike sub-domains, in general, after years of malware research. Sub-domains are confusing for many, as Julia pointed out. And most scams and malware bombs use sub-domains... as do junk affiliates, low-end website hosts, free hosting, etc.

With that said, plenty of high-end properties use sun-domains in the right way, so a sub-domain does not equal bad for all.

I agree with Google on presenting the Final URL as the Display URL.

Happy Friday!

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I think it's also related to the new TLDs that are available. We have a client using a non-standard TLD, and initially had problems loading ads because a .com or .net was expected.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Interesting. Mind elaborating a little on how it ties into showing subdomains?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Mark H - have you checked with support or your rep if there is a walk around displaying dest url as final?

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Hi @Julia_Muller,

Yes, apparently that's the intention of showing subdomains Smiley Sad

No idea why. On mobile, it's just bad.

For clients who have cities in subdomains like ftlauderdale.longjohnplumbers.com or milwaukee.shortjohndentists.com

Oh well.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Didn't think about that. Fortunately we don't have geo sub-domaine clients. Have you actually seen them on mobile? Are new ads truncating the url to: www.ftlauderdale.longjoh.. or something like that @Mark H?

Standard text ad format is planned to be discontinued by October 26th: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7048854?hl=en

Another issue is that display url pre-populates "www." by default including for the subdomains that don't have a "www." to them.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Depending on the advertiser you could probably think of as many reasons that it would be handy to have subdomains as it would not. As long as it is an option then it could actually be useful

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

@Julia_Muller: No, luckily, I haven't seen any truncation. On mobile it actually listed the full ugly URL. So that's one thing it's got going! lol

@MikeJohnston: True, but an option would be nice instead of forcing it down our throats.