Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Does ad copy trump everything?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

What is your take on the importance of ad copy vs. everything else a paid search manager has to attend to? In percentage terms, or on a scale of 1 to 10.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
4 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I might be controversial here... But as for as day to day.  I'd say a 5

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Julia_Muller,

What a great thought to ponder. My answer may be longer than you were seeking, but since I am not eating pizza at the moment, I have the time to ponder this more deeply and my answer will reflect that. Smiley Happy

With the ad copy being the first thing a consumer sees, it would have to score really high up at 7 or above.

Since keywords or targeting is needed to get that ad copy in front of the audience, it has to score slightly higher at 8 or above. I think we spend more time on optimizing targeting, more than anything else, too. 

With those elements covered, I would suggest that client relations comes in at the all mighty 9 or above, since they ultimately have to allow us to do what we do. Without them, the ad copy is useless. 

Okay, you can see my thinking here... and possibly a pattern where I am covering 7 or above, 8 or above, 9 or above ...and your brain is waiting for the 10, right?

Let me merely suggest that quite-possibly the all powerful 10 could be Google Partners relations, Google AdWords training & Testing, Google Analytics training & testing, and include A/B testing and anything else under the umbrella of expanding our intelligence in our field. I say this since ad copy connects and utilizes all of this intelligence so beautifully.

Without all of the Google greatness... could we be as great as we are as a paid search manager? Without a constant focus on being Google great... could we achieve it? Without all of the resources and ideas shared in these Google great communities... could one be as great as an advertising professional?  

I do not think so.

It's great to be Google great when it comes to paid search advertising! 

All the Best,

James 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Maybe controversial, but important for me to know what you all think. Thanks, Shanee

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for your input, James, I will reserve my own opinion until I get more input from others.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

great question. I agree with Shannee at a 5.  Keywords I would put at 10.  Depends on the industry, but in auto most people don't read the text, they just click on Rank 1 for their keyword. 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I see polarizing opinions. Thanks, Tony. 

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

In my opinion ad copy is uber important, more so now since expanded ads have allowed enough space for a small saga. Probably a 10 in my book. In conjunction with other things that may rank as 10 as well.

Julia Muller,

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

What if you couldn't rank everything the same?  What if you had to prioritize?  

Maybe landing page needs to be higher??

10 - Bid mgmt

9 - removing keywords that aren't performing

8 - adding negatives and testing new terms

7 - landing page

6 - ad copy

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Here is my rating of the list, I kept your order, but split one of your bullet points into two, Shanee:

8 - Bid mgmt (gave it an eight only because this can easily be automated)

3 - removing keywords that aren't performing (just pausing is enough in my experience)

9 - adding negatives

5 - testing new terms (only important in budget surplus situations)

8 - landing page

10 - ad copy

Julia Muller,