AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Does Anyone Do Paid Advertising for Their Own Agency?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Happy Tuesday Y'all.  Incredible blog from Rand about MOZ : https://moz.com/rand/moz-returns-to-seo/.  It's honest and worth a read.  Rand lists some interesting expenditures.  Including 500K in food and nearly 1M in Travel/Entertainment for around 200 employees.  What really caught my eye was the 2.6M they spent on Paid Advertising.  Do any of you do paid advertising for your digital marketing services?  I currently do $25 a day.  It hasn't converted into any customers (6 months in), but maybe it's too little?  

cost-savings-moz.gif

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does Anyone Do Paid Advertising for Their Own Agency?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony_Guo,

That is some solid info to consider. 

Yes, we utilize PPC, and more, for our agency and we do get a positive ROI from it. We are actually doing much less than you at the moment, although we have played around with different amounts over the past several years. We started it for branding only with no want or need for new work from it, but have received some nice clients, and of course, a steady climb in hits to our website, videos, social channels, etc.. 

We focus on promoting our brand first... and then layer in some services. We don't sell and simply aim to present our brand and our personality.

Kind Regards,

James

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Oh that's the difference. Our PPC is focused on selling and not branding. Maybe I should do branding a bit more. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Tony_Guo,

Yes, I think you would do better with that approach. There are far too many using selling tactics when presenting a brand and its strengths would be more desirable and effective, too.

As the years have gone by, we have seen that this works great. We also find that when we go places, people of all types know our logo and name, even those that are not seeking or ever needing our services. They in turn repeat us to people and I have actually heard some promote us and back us at chamber events and such even though they have never met us or used us. This is the power of brand building.

Run with a formula of 75% branding and 25% services. 

Advertising and marketing is great... but there are times when brand building trumps them.

Happy Tuesday, my friend!

James

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

We definitely run PPC for our agency.  We run weird brand name variations and very specific PPC terms.  We have worked that negative list like crazy!!

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Tony_Guo,

We use PPC to promote our brand and it works perfectly! We haven't got real good results when it comes to using PPC for services. I guess because we are in Quebec! Smiley Wink

Ben