AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Content Purging Tools

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello, Partners-

I apologize if this is a little off-topic but I thought some of you might have an opinion.

One of my clients has a very large amount of content on their site. Some of it is not very good at all and I suspect it's hurting their SEO and organic positions. The editor on their team found an Automated tool to purge content called Webris: http://webris.org/content-audit/. I'm not familiar with it. 

1. Does anyone have experience using it?

2. Does anyone have any tips for another tool that you can use for this situation?

Obviously, removing content (if done without a good process) could be very dangerous. Recommendations?

Thank you!
Lisa

1 Expert replyverified_user

Content Purging Tools

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @mayaflyer,

We are seasoned web developers and we recommend reshaping a mature website by hand. As for the link you provide, myself or my team have never heard of it. 

I do agree that cleaning up a website can be a great thing for SEO... and your visitors, too. We often find content during audits that the client is embarrassed to realize it was there and never knew it was online.

We print each page, lay out a flow chart of how the pages are currently linked and evaluate what page names need to be removed, edited or added. Then we dreamweave (our internal name for thinking bigger or conceptualizing a new design) a new website structure, web page names, content subjects... then we go through the printed pages for content to pluck & assign and rip & remove... and lay in what we have, what needs edited and what new content is needed. 

With all of that done, we leave the old site up while we build the new one. When the new one is ready, we pause AdWords and any other digital advertising around midnight, we publish the new website, run auditing, hit the server with 301 redirects, run audits, adjust site as needed, optimize speed, edit AdWords landing page URLs, audit ads, turn AdWords back on, audit, adjust and enable any other digital advertising... take a 3 AM break... then run more audits. And we send a email to the business saying wakey wakey sunshine... your new website is ready for your review (we tailor the message to their personality). Smiley Happy

Now we shift gears to focus on AdWords every 4 hours until the campaigns slurp up the new pages and settle in. We also check Google Analytics, Search Console and server logs every 6 hours for the first week or until normal activity (no errors) is achieved. From here we ask all of their employees to provide criticism and we take those with a smile and adjust the website, as deemed proper, if needed.    

Kind Regards,

James

Content Purging Tools

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Thanks, James. Just as I suspected, there's no easy way. Smiley Happy

Content Purging Tools

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Mayaflyer,

Very welcome. 

The best journeys come from cruising down a long winding twisted road.

Cheers,

James