Partners
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Competitive Analysis

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hey People,

I'm curious about how you all do competitive analysis for clients.  What tools if any do you use?  What type of outputs do you send to clients?

There is no such thing as too much detail here, looking for any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
4 Expert replyverified_user

Competitive Analysis

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Any takers? Tommy and I both thought here would be a great place to get some input. ..And we're getting crickets 8-)

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Competitive Analysis

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

We use Keyword Spy as a tool/guide.  But, every tool that I've used seems to be inaccurate.  I always use them to "spy" on myself to test accuracy.  Never have I once found one to be accurate as far as spend/clicks/cost/etc.

I do think it seems accurate for ad copy and helps for keyword selection ideas.

Competitive Analysis

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Late to the party... We have used Spyfu in the past to get more details on the competition. 

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

Competitive Analysis

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

We are using a mixed toolset like SEMRush, Moz, WebCEO and cognitiveSEO for backlinks analysis. I don'T think there's a perfect tool but crossmixing data from different tools give a better idea of the competition.

Competitive Analysis

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks, @Shanee_Kirk.

Yeah, whenever I have used SpyFu to "spy on myself," I got the same results. Inaccurate. 

But I always find SpyFu great for finding competing ad copy, or for getting ad copy inspiration altogether.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Competitive Analysis

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks for your input, @Spencer_Wade! Any specific way you prefer to present findings to the client?

Julia Muller,

Competitive Analysis

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks, @Benoit. How about PPC competition? Any tools that are better for that purpose?

Julia Muller,

Competitive Analysis

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I guess it depends on the kind of analysis you are doing. A lot of the tools mentioned are good for SEM comparisons, but lets not forget about SEO.

iSpionage is another option for general info and I personally  like to use a free XML Sitemap generator to see the scope of their pages. It can also be handy to use BuiltWith to see what functionalities they are  using.

All this adds up to finding whys you can position clients ahead of their competition and pointing out opportunities for them to raise the bar.

Competitive Analysis

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

@Julia_Muller I like SEMRush and WebCEO. In fact for the canadian french market there's not alot of good tools for that! Smiley Sad I'm always looking for new tools! Smiley Happy