Partners
2K members online now
2K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Client Pet Peeves

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

What is your biggest client behavior pet peeve??

I have a few.  But, one of mine is knee jerk decision making.  One new client and I had to mutually decide to part ways this afternoon.  He was the type that likes to throw up a new campaign and see what sticks within 2 days.  If you haven't seen a conversion in 2 days, pause the whole campaign and move on.

In my opinion PPC is much more methodical than that.  It takes some time to gather data, iterate, and optimize.  So, I wasted about a week on a campaign that is no longer... Just keep moving...

Now, tell me yours.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Client Pet Peeves

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Great topic @Shanee_Kirk

Currently working with a new client and this subject is so appropriate!

Some pet peeves of mine our focusing only on keywords and the want to tell me what it is I need to do to run their campaign.

I try to explain to the client that a campaign has many different facets and although keywords is one strategy it is not the only strategy, this kinda frustrates me.

Another thing that frustrates me is something I call "Doctor Diagnosis" which means when clients try to tell me what I need to do to manage their campaign. 

The reason I call it "Doctor Diagnosis" is because there is a true story of someone I know who went to the doctor and informed the doctor what was wrong with them, they said the doctor responded by saying "Well, if you already know what's wrong, why did you need to see me?"

Take away: Let the doctor do his job, let me do my job.

#GPCPetPeeve  

Client Pet Peeves

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would say both of those posts are solidly not-so-fun for us agencies. lol

I have some awesome clients so I am having to think on a real pet peeve... I guess it would be those that spread budgets too thin and messing up a great campaign. Say we have four campaigns at $6 daily each, all performing quite well, then they insist on adding in two more campaigns and splitting the costs down to $4 daily each... and then they are anxious when performance tanks across the board (which was stressed to them before hand).

When in doubt, eat more pizza!

James 

Client Pet Peeves

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Communication. 

I have no one to blame but myself in this regard. However, as we all know, communicating with people is an art form, and skill that some do better with than others. Smiley Happy Sometimes clients aren't very good at communicating their wants and desires from their advertising, sometimes we (I) aren't so good about communicating the possibilities or limitations of the medium.

It may be an oversimplification to say that all "pet peeves" or issues with clients (or their issues with us) come down to a failure to communicate. Sometimes you just can't win. Smiley Happy However, I bet we all have had situations where - In the long run - We wish we would have tried a different approach in our communication with a client.

On the other hand, if, once the frustration subsides, you/I/we are actually glad the whole mess is over with, then consider the experience a blessing in disguise. Smiley Happy Use the experience as an example of what not to do, and see if there's some way you can re-purpose that experience via content, as part of your unique value proposition to your clients that you can work with.

Shanee, Molly, all of us in this partner forum who don't do "that", because our experience tells us "that" is not an effective means of advertising our clients businesses - Given their specific situation, and unique business goals. It's not a bunch of BS, or a sales pitch if it's true. Being better than should never be a point of frustration. Smiley Happy

I want to thank you all so much for being who you are, and doing what you do. I know who the best of the best in this industry are, even if sometimes clients don't. Smiley Happy Our industry needs voices like yours. The more you speak, the harder you fight, the better we will all be because of it.

Tom

Client Pet Peeves

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

My pet peeve is hiring me for my experience and instead using [attempting to use] me as a typist.

Clients who spread the budget too thin, while their competitors are willing to pay premium for the same search traffic, indicating that there's much ROI to be gained; want to solve any potential issues on the fly and expect me to play along; dictate the keywords or approaches like they are the expert - all of the points you guys mentioned qualify for this.

When they tell me that they want my expertise, yet they proceed to doctor what I do and rush me through it all. Don't hire me for that. Instead, I am available to help with the following:

1) Qualifying your ads for search results page exposure in the instances that matter, but where you'd have no chance otherwise

2) Winning eyeballs for your ad with the right ad text and a great ad rank -- impressions aren't enough, they need to notice your brand

3) Getting high engagement = high click through rate = low cost per click,

4) Selecting right target & setting up realistic prospects' expectations, which will help avoid mutual disappointment for both the prospect and the brand -- anyone can promise the world to win a click, but back button is even easier to click

5) Following through to ensure the balance of the quality vs the cost of traffic, including agency fee - is this a viable prospect given your margins?

6) Figuring out how to weather seasonality and keep improving 

7) Staying on top of the platform evolution and using the right features at the right time

8) Helping compare favorably to competition

9) Defending and preserving Brand Name investment

I may have forgotten a few, but you get the gist.. In short what you, guys, said, with my spin on it. Let me do my job. Really. Truly. And you will reap the rewards.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Client Pet Peeves

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Tom - That's really sweet!  Thank you.

Communication is key.  I think one of our issues is that we do about 10% of our work Internationally, where English might not be the first language.  I do try to communicate limitations and set expectations, but I wonder if some of my dialogue gets "lost in translation".  It's definitely something to think about.

Client Pet Peeves

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Julia - I love you list.  I'd like to steal this and add it to our proposals!!  Great way to boil it all down.