Partners
7K members online now
7K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Change of Branding or Agency Name

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Has anyone gone through a total agency rebranding?  What were the pros/cons?  We have been debating the benefits of changing the long known company name (mine) to something more creative vs one person's name.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Change of Branding or Agency Name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Shanee_Kirk,

I have not with our agency, but have certainly helped other businesses do so. It is a hefty process that absolutely requires careful thought and tremendous planning. 

The biggest "pro' I can name would be the value built for the purpose of selling the agency (down the road), or for bringing on investors and growing bigger & better. This is where clients have used us to rebrand... in realizing that a brand built on a person that won't be there... is a brand stuck in the past and hard to monopolize on (for these stated purposes).

Personally, I have three main brands and all three do not include my name but were uniquely-created by me. I like it done that way. However, I also like your agency name and how it is presented, your logo, etc.. 

The biggest "con" that comes to mind is the shake-up to clients and your overall established brand presence. After doing a few of these, we figured out it is better to build a second brand next to your current brand, and then migrate clients one by one over to the new while stating the advantages of the new: how processes are streamlined, performance improved, etc..

Present it for the greatness that it is for the clients and they will embrace it with open arms. And use the change to make any/all changes with staff, processes, reporting, etc.. Fix anything that bugs you now... make a big 'ol list and plot the course.

If I can lend anything more, please just let me know.

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Thanks, James. I'm just not sure. How do you choose a name that's creative and relevant -- Like a tattoo, once you pick it, you are kind of stuck with it. And, like a tattoo, I'm too indecisive to take the plunge.

When I started my little company it was just me... And, it remained that way for many years. But, for the last few years we have been growing. And, now people always want to speak with "Shanee Kirk" -- Well, my VP is just as good of a talker... Hee hee.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Shanee_Kirk,

Very welcome... happy to participate and add my thoughts, when I can.

You are on the right track with considering it and it is a great problem to have after growing from a baby agency into a mean ol' teenager.  Robot tongue

Coming up with the best name is a tough one, since it needs to make you and your team feel great while saying it (and being it), highly effective at conveying who you are and what you do, make sense to those in the industry and out... productive at making you more productive than you are now. And, of course, one that is not in use now and not easily copied after you make it a household name.

Bonus thoughts: do a domain name search and make sure it is not taken or closely connected to anything funky or dark. Hit the dictionary and see what meaning it has, too. 

Let us know how things go... feel free to give me a call and bounce some names by me for further input. I have been creating brands longer than the internet has been around. It's my first love.  

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The rule of the thumb there is usually, name something different than all your competitors.

Change of Branding or Agency Name

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I've actually decided to put it on the backburner once again... We will stay Shanee Kirk Marketing for now!  haha