Partners
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

Any Tips for Combatting Conquest Campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 11.11.44 AM.png

Happy Monday Y'all.  Some of my dealerships are being conquested (other dealerships are bidding on my dealerships' brand keywords).  I figured having the name in the ad, display url, landing page and increasing the bid would.  But it hasn't... either that are they are bidding insane amounts.  

As I researched, I realized even AdWords is being contested heavily.  Google (who theoretically has an unlimited budget for their own brand name) is 3 out of 4.  

Have Y'all found creative ways combating competitors taking brand keywords?  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Any Tips for Combatting Conquest Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
  1. One of the biggest and most basic and effective ways I've dealt with that before was to say " Brand term - Official Site."
  2. I'd put all the budget you can afford on that, but figure out what they are bidding with manual first. Brand name conversions are the top biggest asset imo. There is a lot that is invested by the business prior to brand recognition achieved. Brand name searches are 100% biggest indicators of being ready for purchase in my experience. I'd bid +300% on mobile as well, because it is on mobile where the struggle is real.
  3. I'd report to Google and start an investigation. You have very little chance of winning as long as they are not using brand terms in the ad copy, but you may stir the waters enough to get them sweating. Google does follow up on those, and who if not you with you being a lawyer can present it right to the policy team?

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Great Advice! I solved the problem by putting the client account on Marin Software and using their Positional bidding. I set it at position 1 and it seems to be working. And surprisingly the cost hasn't really increased all that much. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What were the settings of the brand campaign(s) in question @Tony_Guo?

Out of all those:

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 15.56.23.png

Just curious. There is also a bid to position script that can be used, forgot to mention that.  

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-07-26 at 3.40.55 PM.png

We use Marin Software so I just put in my target position range and Marin does all the calculations.  I'd be interesting in seeing the script.  That could be useful for clients who don't pay for Marin.  Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There's another Bid to position script @Tony_Guo I was reminded of yesterday http://www.brainlabsdigital.com/adwords-script-real-time-position-bidding/. Have to say those folks at BrainLabs are brilliant, I have a lot of respect for them.

Julia Muller,

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
What you could also do is target by position or enter competitors name to outrank.