Partners
1K members online now
1K members online now
Community space to get to know one another, talk about marketing and advertising strategy
Guide Me
star_border

A Google Maps Search Yields A Google Maps Advertisement

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

So the other day I was doing a search for a phone number which of course served a maps result with the phone number, website, etc. called the number conducted my business etc.

Before I closed out the map results my phone redirected me to this, this is the actual screen shot of my phone:

image 1.jpe

I'm thinking, what just happened, did Google Maps just serve me ad Advertisement?

An add from AT &T for a promotion called Ticket Tuesday?

Out of curiosity decided to click on the promo which directed me to a landing page:

IMG_20160727_005633 (1).jpg

Brought to mind the Google Maps pinned placements that Google plans on releasing soon.

Do you think Google Maps Ads via these cards and pinned placements will be effective?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A Google Maps Search Yields A Google Maps Advertisement

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Molly Y,

That is a great find. Sorta like an Easter Egg, lol.

Yes, I think they will be effective and fun, too, as long they remain relevant and not too aggressive.

Happy Friday, we made it!

James 

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Good eye! I think they maybe effective as long as they are relevant to the user.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Interesting - don't all Google promotions and ads have labels that suggest that it is a paid inclusion/result? Maybe we don't have the full story, but I'm not seeing that here. Is there any way to tie this back to any Google Ad Services?

The other thing is that this is a very specific promotion, just for AT&T customers. Maybe they (AT&T) have some backdoor way to inject promotions for their customers on certain devices or for customers on certain plans...(totally assuming that you're an AT&T customer).

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Now that you mention it, @PPCBossman, I received some info last week about WOW Cable and some other ISPs and TV stations offering GEO-Fencing ads that inject an ad into various places of the mobile device. The email said it was a a newer version of mobile advertising being tested in some markets. Jacksonville could be a test spot? Just a thought that hit me reading your reply.

Kind Regards,

James